Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Thats pretty awesome! There a few things I need for this car, Like Hood latch assy, The locking mech is crap, and the latch on the hood is missing. It had hood pins. But I'd like to fit it right.

The car has Wagon wheels with nice Center caps. I will play with the car tomorrow, take a list of genuine parts I need and will PM you etc.. :)

I'm feeling really good about this car, I'm excited as hell!

Driving my new ea81 is great. I've only had ea82s and an outback, but now I think I like the ea81 the best.

The `87 hatch I pulled the axle from yesterday had a good working hood latch. I can grab that no problem. The only issue was the interior handle for the hood release was busted.

Can't wait to see some pics.

Driving my new ea81 is great. I've only had ea82s and an outback, but now I think I like the ea81 the best.

The `87 hatch I pulled the axle from yesterday had a good working hood latch. I can grab that no problem. The only issue was the interior handle for the hood release was busted.

Thats cool, grab it and let me know what you want! I should be able to swap my cable/handle onto the new one. First I find the release handle, I have no clue where it is lol! EA81 body cars are to weird lol.

I took a few minutes and looked thru the glove box, WOW! I have the original receipt from when the Dealer installed A/C! Also a like new Owners manual, Some unopened packet of Subaru papers, Brand new Tow Straps, Some Handsfree Tire Inflator, Service Book, Book of Matches (Which I lit up all at once for fun) Subaru Tool pack, and somethings I am forgetting.

The interior is VERY clean and undamaged, its almost at perfect as my Loyale. This car is f*cking cool as hell!

Looks great in the driveway!

You should put that oem bicycle rack on it. It takes up space in my basement.

put in a 5spd dual range with the jerry's kit shifter

Haha yeah that F*cking bike rack LOL! It would be era correct.

What is a Jerry's Kit Shifter? So far I like the 4spd. I can do 55mph at little over 2000rpm in 4th.

Clutch needs replacing soon, if I put my foot down, it slips. Oh well. It needs brakes and I need to replace a hard fuel line that runs under the rear set through the body. (Like what you did to that XT6)

glad to hear that you found a good one.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I read that you weren't getting the 87, but I understand, it kind of loses all of the "cool" factor that you are paying for if you have to redo everything that is supposed to make it cool... I hope that made sense:confused:

Ben

i will enjoy seeing this in person. ski team ftw!

question: was that a paint job you could actually buy from the factory? or was it only issued to ski team?

Subaru sponsored the US ski team durring the '70s and '80s. Subaru put the decal on the car, only for the ski team's vehicles.

Should I swap this thing to Weber? Or is the Hitachi good on the EA81s?

I say if it works well, keep it. Mine still has the hitachi on it and has never given me grief.

+1 and +1 for pics. :clap:

First I find the release handle, I have no clue where it is lol! EA81 body cars are to weird lol.

The hood release inside or under the hood? Inside is the same as a ea82 body and the hood release you pull up on a handle instead of push sideways.

This car is f*cking cool as hell!

Looks great in the driveway!

Welcome to the ea81 club. :cool:

If you cant tell I'm just as excited about this as you are. :lol:

jerry's kit is an adapter to use the 4spd's original dual range shifter with a 5spd.

the 4spd has a really short first gear, and a large gap between 2md and 3rd. If you ej's this, it would annoy you greatly with that gearing.

If you were ever on the highway, you would have yo tke 2nd gear to 50 mph, and ride 3rd gear to the cruise speed you want, then 4th to maintain. You will be shifting out of first before the car is moving, it is so short.

seriously though, that thing is way too cool. What's the plan?

Fix the rust, get some Pugs, Possible lift. HIDs, LEDs, Full tune up, complete motor/driveline refresh. Try to keep it solid.

I will need to buy those rocker replacement panels for it, anyone have a link to them? I thought J.C Whitney offered them?

I'm thinking of buying some tune up stuff either today or tomorrow, is there a brand to stick with for the Points? Also, is there one or two? I haven't really looked into any of it yet.

I'm going with NGK Plugs/Wires, YEC Cap/Rotor, Full fluid change, Replace some vac lines, Air filter, Gonna rebuild the carb sometime (I think this might be the main cause of the spitting) I also need to replace a hard fuel line that rusted through lol.

I need Brakes, I can't wait to get the wheels off and check things out. I would like to start dropping some of the suspension and such to address any rust and seal it up ect.

Project! At least it does run and drive reliably :banana: