Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

when i did my wagons oil pan i read on here that you should use fuji bond but i just went with a cork gasket its been about a year and a half and im just now seeing it start to leak but i also didnt use RTV so that may help it not leak either way its your car do it how you want thats what i did cause at the end of the day im the one working on it;) and i dont really mind if she leaks a little oil:cool:

IMO if you are going to use a gasket, as said above cover each side with a THIN coating of the proper sealer, clean all of the bolts and holes, and use a medium strength loctite. You have to be careful not to over-tighten the bolts with this type of gasket as it does not have the torque limiting rings around each bolt hole. The loctite helps them stay put at a low torque. I have had good success both ways (with and without gasket).

That's right Tom, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Do it the way you know as right and have had good success with yourself. For example, there are plenty of people here on this site that say you MUST use a head gasket from Subaru when many of us have used FelPro with great success. Both are fine, so just do what you're comfortable with.

Agreed. Although, Fel-Pro head gaskets are usually a genuine part, they have the Fuji stamping on them, at least every kit I've seen so far, EA82, ER27 and EJ22.

Well, things are gonna slow up from this point on. I just quit my job at Target, it was really becoming BS everyday, pushed my self everyday, hard, and it still wasn't enough, too many people have gotten fired and I had to take up the slack. I said enough is enough, goodbye.

Jon, wanna throw me a job... ;)

:popcorn:

I am gonna be swapping on the original fixed hood soon. Painted the underside with Rustoleum truck bed liner spray, now I'm gonna give the top a quick sanding to remove anything that got onto the primer and hit it with some gloss white paint!

Only temp until I get the body repainted by a pro.

Agreed. Although, Fel-Pro head gaskets are usually a genuine part, they have the Fuji stamping on them, at least every kit I've seen so far, EA82, ER27 and EJ22.

Well, things are gonna slow up from this point on. I just quit my job at Target, it was really becoming BS everyday, pushed my self everyday, hard, and it still wasn't enough, too many people have gotten fired and I had to take up the slack. I said enough is enough, goodbye.

I just quit my job too. But I have a new one as a Senior Project Engineer at A&E Hand Tools.

http://www.aeincorporated.com/

Hopefully I can get a nice discount! I start on October 15th.

I am gonna be swapping on the original fixed hood soon. Painted the underside with Rustoleum truck bed liner spray...

Photos Please! :)

... I'm gonna seal both sides of the gasket with RTV Black. Kinda like what I do with Oil pumps and Water pumps. Double the protection!! (Sadly not so many teens follow this rule) ;)

Well, I believe it is Good Idea to follow that Rule, and I do like that on almost all the seals I work, except for Oil pan seals.

In my own humble opinion, MegaGrey Silicone works Better and is Stronger than Black Silicones; If you want to see how I do the Oil Pan seal, look ~► Here.

The MegaGrey Package's Back has certain OEM Parts interchange Chart:

MegaGreySiliconeinterchangechart.jpg

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
misspelled word

at least now you can get some sleep eh? goodies goin out this week minus the door pad that i have yet to procure

since it's a US Ski team wagon, you should've done the paint is Red, White and Blue instead of easter egg :)

Lol! Yeah, didn't think about that! That would've been one off eh.

Its kinda Red and Blue, Pink intake, blue everything else. Just need a white oil filter :-p

Paint the entire block white, Red intake blue valve covers/oil pan!

What's the over all shape of the PS fender on the Wagon now? I could be interested in it, if it's in a decent condition.

You've seen the one on the '85 BRAT. So if it's in better shape, I'll take it.

Its in better shape than yours in the sense that is has no dents. But the rust is iffy on it. The lower, rear most section of the fender is gone and there is some moderate surface rust around the wheel arch. I suppose you could always section both fenders together and make one nice fender (I forgot how the rust is on yours?)

Here is what mine looks like. (Best pictures I could find)

2012_0501AD.jpg

2012_0706AE.jpg

Finished hooking everything up today, and decided to fire it up (WITH NO HEADER!) Its actually not that loud, surprisingly. The EJ22 was louder with no header.

Fired right up first thing and runs just as good as it did before I pulled it, tested the clutch a little, the friction point seems closer to the floor which is nice, can't wait to build a header and drive it!