Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Solid rear axle subie! LOL. JesZek has seen an EA82 with Toyota axle under the rear in his country. Lol funny! Dunno about a V8 in the old Celica 2JZ that shiz! Keep it Japanese muscle, Toyota V8! :cool:

Drove the GL to work today, wow, no slipping clutch! I can do pulls in 3rd! Its actually faster than I thought this car was, it pulls hard in 3rd from 35-55 (About 6secs) shift into 4th and carry it to 75mp! Wanted to go faster but the 5-0 were stalking the area.

I need to fix my exhaust leaks. Didn't use gaskets on the header flanges cause I'm fawkin' lazy.

I'll just goop it up with RTV (Its only temp until I build the rear exhaust)

I'm Glad to Know that the Ski Wagon is Driveable again ... Good Job! icon14.gif

Solid rear axle subie! LOL. JesZek has seen an EA82 with Toyota axle under the rear in his country. Lol funny! Dunno about a V8 in the old Celica 2JZ that shiz! Keep it Japanese muscle, Toyota V8! :cool: ...

Yes, I've seen many Subies with Rear solid Axle Swap here... I even posted a Thread about them in the Old gen Subies forum.

My Neighbour used to Own -for years- a 1981 Celica "Supra" which came factory with an in-line 6 Cyl 2.0L engine... Lightweight & Fast.

Kind Regards.

Sealed up the header flanges with RTV, sounds so much better. I made a few parts runs in the Subaru tonight cause O'reilly's Ford Rangers are junk lol.

My temp gauge is running cool, why? It used to work just fine before I pulled the motor out, not its below half when at running temp.

Possible failing sending unit?

Drove the GL to work today, wow, no slipping clutch! I can do pulls in 3rd! Its actually faster than I thought this car was, it pulls hard in 3rd from 35-55 (About 6secs) shift into 4th and carry it to 75mp! Wanted to go faster but the 5-0 were stalking the area.

Ah the power of the ea81. :cool: lol

It feels quick and snappy, driving around in these cars makes you feel like a badass.

I did a test though; my friend has a completely stock '91 Honda EF hatchback.

We lined up on the freeway in third gear and "raced" to see who could get to 70 first. Both cars were dead even. :dead:

Lol I never felt so slow...

Keep in mind this is a freshly rebuilt ea81 that I have, very healthy.

Lol, yeah I've noticed this. I'm giving it hell, and the cars behind me (Buick LeSaber) is still on my hatch lol.

At least it sounds good :)

Chris has a '97 LaSabre. Really likes it. But he still says "The Wagon is more "FUN" to drive" though.

And a 1.8L against a 3.8L has no chance, even if the 3.8 is moving more of a load. It's twice the engine,,,, and then some.

... $20 in gas last forever in that thing.

I Agree... my 1.8 EA82 engine does much better Mileage than my Wife's 1.8 T8D engine.

... My temp gauge is running cool, why? It used to work just fine before I pulled the motor out, not its below half when at running temp...

Well... maybe it is working fine indeed: Remember that a Clean engine always run Cooler than a Dirty one; also you did something to the Radiator, isn't it?

Kind Regards.

I find the low temp odd. Ever after driving it for a while, and beating on it a little, the cooling fan does not come on. The gauge indicates its running, I'd say about 170* or less, but the heat is nice and hot!?

Could my new genuine thermostat me junk from letting it sit without coolant for a few weeks?

As for the flanges, nope. Had a few Impreza guys say they could make them, but nothing more has come of that (Typical lol)

I dunno about engine liter Tom, My Toyota is 4.0 Straight-6, and it is slower off the line than the GL lol! (But it rides better) ;)

Just happy I can drive the GL around! Everything is taken 3x as long as I anticipated on this. :rolleyes:

Next summer I have to do more zzz which I was trying to avoid, now I have two FT jobs, I don't have time like I used to (Nor the patience. I need sh*t done, and I NEED IT NOW!)

:Flame:

Rock auto has them pretty cheap. $10 or something. IIRC they're around $55 from the dealer.

Are they the same style? They look a little different than mine. Mostly the Stopper (Which keeps the cables casing from moving looks different)

Anyone ever used an aftermarket cable?

from what Ive read, aftermarket clutch cables are JUNK.

I picked up a couple from the dealer for less than $30 each here.

I get "special" pricing though. I think MSRP is about $50

Be sure to get a pin as well. The cables do not come with them. Its the pin that attached the cable end to the pedal assembly.

from what Ive read, aftermarket clutch cables are JUNK.

I picked up a couple from the dealer for less than $30 each here.

I get "special" pricing though. I think MSRP is about $50

Be sure to get a pin as well. The cables do not come with them. Its the pin that attached the cable end to the pedal assembly.

Good tip, I will also make sure to get the pin.

Do you have the part number for yours?

I bought a clutch cable from rockauto for one of the BRATs a few years back. Cable has survived 2 different BRATs sofar.

What year did they change the method of how it connects to the clutch pedal? I can't remember if it was '83 or '84.

Tom, I have a brand new one still in it's package for the '82. Pretty sure it's an OEM one. Can be your's if it fits the '83.

Got a new phone what does pics, I'll try to get one of it and send it to you.

Edited by TomRhere
Wrong info was typed.

I will take photos of each ends as well (And where it failed) cause I have zero idea when the switch was made.

I may go buy one from the dealer when I get paid (I'll go to Subaru City for better service)

Too many things going on with this car and the others lol. I now need a cable for this one. Some dude on here still owns me $40 or a Fender (Which I don't really need now) I have a stash of parts sitting else where which was a trade. Bennie has L-series lights for me, some dude on ih8mud has an ATF cooler for my LC which he has to send me.

Too many people, taking too long....!

(Not a big deal, just have fun) :-p

Got the cable hooked up. But its rather stiff. The reaction of the pedal depressing kinda sucks. I sound like a newbie, slipping the clutch lol.

Gotta figure out why its not easy working. perhaps I should have poured oil down the cable before installation?

Got the cable hooked up. But its rather stiff. The reaction of the pedal depressing kinda sucks. I sound like a newbie, slipping the clutch lol.

Gotta figure out why its not easy working. perhaps I should have poured oil down the cable before installation?

Is the cable routed correctly? If you don't route it right, it'll cause lots of friction and kill the thing pretty fast. The clutch in my GL is feather light.

Is the cable routed correctly? If you don't route it right, it'll cause lots of friction and kill the thing pretty fast. The clutch in my GL is feather light.

I put it back in the way the original came out.

It routes under the heater core hoses and steering link, right?