Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I would possibly trade, given that Trashwagon is still in the condition it was (Nothing major) I was trying to get my fleet down to two vehicles, but the Loyale is going in the garage soon, so I'd only have the Toyota then.

Matt on here sent me a email which I didn't get, but he sounds interested. So I will keep ya'll informed of whats going on.

Liz expressed interest and has the $$$$ if the deal falls out. But Congratulations!. I have been eying up the landlord's impreza. Maybe in the future i could just give you the trashwagon back if i had too many cars.

Good luck Matt with the ski wagon. :clap:

I actually wouldn't mind getting back onto the Trashwagon. I still would like to have two vehicles to drive for winter since the EA82 is gonna get put away soon.

I could toss you a few bones for TW10 if you don't really need it at the moment. Keep me up to date about that yo!

• 4 weeks later...

Driving the GL for one last time tonight, and was driving fine all night, typical syncro grind going into 3rd once and a while. But other than that, normal. But I came to a complete stop while still in 4th (My mistake) I almost couldn't get it out of forth, but I managed to pop it into 3rd, or what seems to be 3rd. The RPMs reflect 3 gear, but the shifter doesn't feel right...?

And I can not move it into any other gear, I tried popping it into another gear while moving and stopped, and I can NOT get it to do anything. I had to slip the SH*t out of the clutch from a dead stop just to get up to speed again so I could make it to a parking lot.

I pulled it home with another vehicle, but now what do I do? What would cause this? I've had this issue in the past, but I was always able to get it into another gear, This time, eh, not so lucky.

I am running Synthetic gear oil in it (Lucus) but this should not be the issue.

Ideas anyone?

Had that happen with the '86 & '85 BRATs. Took some time playing around with the shifter, but I managed to get things working again.

With both, I chalked it up to sloppy shifter, and set about reducing the amount of slop.

You may be able to get under it and work the selector on the trans back to neutral. Can't say for sure though.

I can't see it being a problem inside of the trans, (just going from my experiences), as they both worked fine afterwards.

Shifter bushings are firm, but right now, the shifter has slop in it? But its in 3rd, but stick doesn't look quite right.

I can't for the life of me get it to do ANYTHING, I've been using a lot of movement and force and nothing happens.

If I remove the center console, can I get to anything on top of the tranny? I forgot what it looks like.

What options do I have to fix this so I can sell it?

when you moved it to 3rd, did you just force it while stopped, or try to do it with the engine off? it your clutch wasnt fully adjusted right, this could still happen. if forcing it, the shifter fork could have bent... at this point, I'd pull the engine back out and make sure the clutch and TO bearing arm are okay and not bent.

I can attest to improved shifer performance from that mod, GD has taken it one better by tapping threads into it. Basically "locking" everything together.

I really wish I could recall exactly what I did to get the shifter/trans back into sinc with each other. Just know I played around with it for quite some time.

Thankfully, I was in my driveway at the time.

Work on both ends it seems. This car and this thread seem like a "passing of the torch" I'll try and keep this thread updated in a similar manner as Tom has done such a great job in documenting this car's progress. So as Tom finds out how to get the trans out of third, I've been getting started on preparations for when this car resides in my driveway. As winter storm Draco descended on the upper midwest yesterday, my brother and I found some time between some deep dish pizza and a Christmas party to go pick up these.

3I83L43J45Id5Kc5Hcccf17b9a8459a231a1b_zpsd397887e.jpg

3M83L13Nd5G45Q25M8ccf3bdf1028308d1e6d_zps8e2b8dc6.jpg

Set of 8 spoke Toyota Land Cruiser 6 lug steels. These came from a restoration project of a very nice looking FJ40. They are 15x7 and I think they match the 80s Subaru era pretty well. The plan is to re-drill the steels and stick with the 4 lug application. (Seems far simpler than converting the hubs to a 6 lug.) These steels are in excellent condition. I'll have to get some better pics after they see a nice bath.

Thinking this car will see some lift in the not too distant future. That and these 15 inch steels should have the car ready for some tires in the neighborhood of 215/225/235 75 tires. Got more reading to do on the lifts, but the EA81s look great with them and the lifestyle of my vehicles is usually one that included some trail time.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

• 2 weeks later...

So I looked at the transmission today, I see a cylindrical shaped shaft that slides in and out of the trans (This is connected to the stick shift) What is this? And why is it wet looking? Is this normal. I am guessing it needs lube to slide in and out, just wondering if this IS correct.

I tried tapping on it and it jiggles, but nothing else. I look at the rest of the shift linkage and everything looks ok.

I still can't get the trans out of 3rd.