Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Hmm. Its possible, maybe it was cracked when I bought it, and it just finally gave? I dunno how the tranny was treated before I got it.

I don't think I could have been too rough with it when trying to get it out of 4th before getting jammed in 3rd.

Is there anyway to tell anything without pulling the motor/trans? I don't have the time to do this anymore nor do want to do it in 20* deg weather. But I do need this thing gone sometime.

actually, youre parts are in a box in my loyale, missing the numerical segment of youre address. you can surprise me with which method you choose to enlighten me, as you have many lol. :banghead: that is all. :)

besides nobodys gonna buy a car with a pink intake, might as well junk it :)

junk or scrap I think was the typo. geez. It's getting late and I'm getting old. This must be what married life does to a guy. Less time on hobbies. As a matter of fact, the other night we were in bed by nine after spending two hours on (get this) a puzzle!

Yeah... pink intake. Kira will think it's cute. :D I'll paint the car like a giant easter egg to match!

junk or scrap I think was the typo. geez. It's getting late and I'm getting old. This must be what married life does to a guy. Less time on hobbies. As a matter of fact, the other night we were in bed by nine after spending two hours on (get this) a puzzle!

Yeah... pink intake. Kira will think it's cute. :D I'll paint the car like a giant easter egg to match!

Now you know why I'm getting rid of the GL.. Women change ones interests. ;p

Easter-wagon! Faded Yellow wheels. :drunk:

Yeah anyway. What's the story with you and your lady?

I'm picturing big bunny ears coming off a roof rack where you'd usually see fog lights. An a giant white cotton poof ball tail on the rear hatch. Maybe even some huge fiberglass buck teeth below the grill. Could make this the most obscene station wagon in the state by Easter time. :headbang:

My girl likes Subarus, I've got her to start spotting them out in parking lots and on the road Hehe. She likes the Loyale and the big old Landcruiser, but the GL is a little too cramped.

Hell, she even likes Trashwagon10. Which is why I want to get that back for a DD.

I'm just burned out on cutting and welding on this thing, and just don't have the effort for it anymore (Mainly cause I'm working two jobs now, and its winter lol)

Best that it goes to someone else who would do it right!

Got a lead on an 87 5 speed Dual range with only 62k.

Did a bunch of reading and I have some good info and some a little confused. If I were to do this swap given what the car already has, I would need -

EA82 drive shaft.

Modify trans mount.

EA82 flywheel or Machine the EA81?

And is it EA82 clutch pressure plate and EA81 disc?

EA81 or EA82 TOB?

If I go for this, I'll probably try and get all the accompanying EA82 trans stuff so I can sort it all out. Looks like it's been done a number of ways.

you are best to use the ea82 flywheel. You will have to transfer the 0 deg mark. You will want parts to match the trans. The clutch disc for the ea82 is larger. you will need this for using the ea81 motor with an ea82 trans.

If it were the other way around, you can use a 4spd clutch disc with an ea82 flywheel, but not with a 5spd.

You are also going to need the ea82 driveshaft, or have the original modified and balanced. making a carrier bearing mount is not difficult with flat stock and bolts.

use the 4spds trans mount with the 5spd. the rubber parts will match the crossmeber holes.

you may have to beat out the trans tunnel or cut some clearance for the rear part of the 5 spd trans.

3.9 gear will work