Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Looks like it will be a bit of a learning process. hoping to be able to get the extra EA82 stuff with the trans purchase. If not, Fox, I'll look you up for the extras.

I'm sold on the dual range. Having that low gear makes all the difference sometimes and I like to take my cars in some strange places. The more I research between the 4 speed and 5 speed, the more it makes sense to do the swap. Seems like this is probably more than a linkage issue, so since I have to drop the trans anyway, I may as well spend a couple hundred and put in the 5 speed while I have the chance. Better reliability (especially if I get that one with 62k!) Better fuel economy. Better low range.

Now just gotta get the parts in order.

Oh yeah! And the car isn't even here yet! :brow: 2 more days!

Got it! Now I just need to go pick it up. 1987 Dual Range with 62k:banana::banana::banana:

I was thinking I'd have to get one shipped from the Northwest.

Fox, you got a deal! The rest of the car that the trans came from has since been scrapped. I'll get that rim and tire this weekend. I can probably get my hands on a set of 14s if you want them for sure. Probably around $60. for a set of rims.

yeah let me know. I will try to get with desmond about getting to the shop and rescue a flywheel and driveshaft for you if you are going to need it. i may or may not have a wheel there, but if you can get me a whole set, that would be ideal.

hmmm. I don't remember mine being that close....

Maybe my method was wrong, but here's what I did to come up with that.

Loosened flywheel bolts on the EA81, then aligned the 0* TDC on #1 cylinder mark to pointer. Removed bolts and flywheel from engine.

Layed the EA81 flywheel on bench, clutch side up.

Layed EA82 flywheel ontop of it, clutch side up.

Aligned the bolt holes, bolted them together.

Took squares, straight egdes and such to transfer timing marks from EA81 to EA82.

Marks moved 6* futher BTDC on the EA82 flywheel.

Ran EA82 flywheel on EA81 engine converted to SPFI. Wasn't happy with ignition timing set at anything other than 26* BTDC on EA82 flywheel. So that led me to believe what method I used was right.

I used the EA82 flywheel as I was also running the D/R 5-speed.

Used same method when I put an EA81 engine into the '88 Wagon using XT6 flywheel and FTAWD 5-speed.

Shopping for a clutch. I am needing the 4wd clutch that fits EA82. Am I right that this is the 24 spline?

Also heard mention of using XT6 clutch stuff one this swap. Is there much advantage? And which parts would be needed?

i got the napa clutch kit for the ea82 for my car, with the 2.5l swap, its held up great for the last 10k miles since the swaps done.

i think most of the kits for the xt6, xt, ea82 are the same these days.

i got the napa clutch kit for the ea82 for my car, with the 2.5l swap, its held up great for the last 10k miles since the swaps done.

i think most of the kits for the xt6, xt, ea82 are the same these days.

usually.

you can have the 5spd flywheel step turned to XT6 specs for a little more grab....

Fox - Got your wheel today.

There are for sure 3 more 14 inch steels there. if I hunt around I can probably dig up a 4th one. Not sure if you were wanting a set of 4 or 5 total.

I'll be picking up the trans on Monday I think. Should be available sometime later next week if you want to meet up.

The wife and I might be back at the yard Sunday afternoon. There was a nice 2000 Outback in there that we might get some parts off for her car.

Matt, I have everything packed in the car. The only stuff I might bring down another time would be both spare hoods (Ones NOS) and the whole Rad support. I also have to get the driverside fender liner down from the rafters, but the Loyale is in my way.

Perhaps I will drive these parts down with the "new" yota :headbang:

As for game plan, I get off work by 3pm tomorrow, you said you'd be home around 5:30pm, so I just have to see when Jason wants to roll down there and we're good. Its not gonna be earlier than 5:30, but its also not gonna be super late, before 7pm I presume. I will talk to dude tomorrow and shoot you a text with the ETA.

BTW, I'm also giving you the 1983 FSM and a bunch of other stuff! :headbang:

Sweet! Any pictures or point me in the right direction for a writeup or info on what to modify?

Unfortunately I have no pics of it at all. But I would think it would be a trial and error thing. Put the tranny in place, and then cut/weld what needs to be, to make it shift in and out of 4WD. I wish I had pics of how mine looked. I don't think much had to me changed.

I'll play around with it. Can't be too different from the 4 speed. And I'm not scared of cutting and welding.

Gotta track down some metal for the lift. Going about 4 or 5 inches and putting a set of 235 75 15s under there.

Gonna get some butcher paper or something similar and trace out all the decals so I can get them re-made for some day. For now I'll finish eradicating the rust from the body and go with a solid color on the outside.

transmission swap - not worried.

Rust battle - been there. done that.

Lift - just a little cutting and welding.

Convincing the wife to be seen in the car with Ski team graphics - That's the hard part!

I'll play around with it. Can't be too different from the 4 speed. And I'm not scared of cutting and welding.

Gotta track down some metal for the lift. Going about 4 or 5 inches and putting a set of 235 75 15s under there.

Gonna get some butcher paper or something similar and trace out all the decals so I can get them re-made for some day. For now I'll finish eradicating the rust from the body and go with a solid color on the outside.

transmission swap - not worried.

Rust battle - been there. done that.

Lift - just a little cutting and welding.

Convincing the wife to be seen in the car with Ski team graphics - That's the hard part!

I have most of an ea81 3" lift kit for sale... :grin: