Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber carb for my 87 gl?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you have to know what you are looking at. ;)

I only have 3 vacuum lines on my motor.

One to the distributor

One to the pass side firewall that goes to the heater

One to the brake booster

I would have one more if I chose to keep the EGR. But I ditched that too.

Find those, and keep 'em. All the other vacuum hoses can go.

Just be sure to cap the ports you are unplugging on the manifold :D

You need the big vacuum line from the manifold to the brake booster

One from the Weber to the distributor

And one from the intake manifold to the HVAC canister located between the passenger strut tower and the firewall.

Everything else can be removed.

When I did my first Weber install, it took me most of the afternoon to get it installed and at least the car running. It wasn't tuned yet, but I could take it to work, if I needed to. I took my time and prior to taking things apart, I read all about it on this board.

You need the big vacuum line from the manifold to the brake booster

One from the Weber to the distributor

And one from the intake manifold to the HVAC canister located between the passenger strut tower and the firewall.

Everything else can be removed.

When I did my first Weber install, it took me most of the afternoon to get it installed and at least the car running. It wasn't tuned yet, but I could take it to work, if I needed to. I took my time and prior to taking things apart, I read all about it on this board.

Exactly what I am doing. Thank you for this post. Now I know which hoses and where.

Any suggestions on how to plug hoses?

Exactly what I am doing. Thank you for this post. Now I know which hoses and where.

Any suggestions on how to plug hoses?

I pulled all the hoses off and picked up a box of vacuum caps from autozone and plugged the unused ports on the manifold. In the past, I have plugged hoses with a screw and a dab of rtv. I plugged the anti-backfire valve hose with a big bolt and a hose clamp. Later, I found an EGR valve from a SPFI engine to get rid of that hose. I have seen other owners build a block-off plate and blocked off the EGR valve all together. It's up to you.

I did find that the vacuum caps needed to be replaced by 5000 miles. Seems the dry heat down here in Arizona has no mercy towards rubber caps. To combat that, I'm currently trying a different idea on my sister's Weberized EA82: I used some of the old vacuum lines and tees from the original carb and tied all the unused ports together. So far, the idle is happier. Will see how that lasts vs the vacuum caps.

Edited by subynut
Fixed grammar - seems I cannot type and talk at the same time

Ahhh, the Trans Dapt 2107 . . . very nice. Just remember to get the short air filter as it is a tight fit closing the hood with the carb lifted.

Yessir already got that one. On the way!

Haaaaas anyone used the taller one, cut a hole in there hood, and put an air scoop?

Yessir already got that one. On the way!

Haaaaas anyone used the taller one, cut a hole in there hood, and put an air scoop?

MilesFox has used a Cone filter sticking out of the hood on an EA82.

But the filter will get wet and get clogged with snow, not the optimal choice.

trashwagonsix.jpg

SEXY! Just came in. Running to town next week to pick up vacuum plugs? Still confused on which ones to plug. If someone could highlight them in a picture or something that would be awesome. Oh and can i just order this? Will it be enough to cover all the tubes i need to cap off? http://www.amazon.com/Holley-26-105-Vacuum-Line-Cap/dp/B000CMFPJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331950017&sr=8-3

But then I am gonna get this bad boy installed next friday hopefully.

The jets that came with it look like 160 and 170. And my alititude that i live at is 5000-7000 ft. mostly around 6000. so any recommended jets that i should get? cause I do not want to buy a whole kit really.

Also is it okay to run the stock jets initially, i will just run a little rich right?

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

Edited by Moosen

This is where the simplistics of Electronic Fuel Injection come into play, No worries what so ever ;)

I think the stock jets will work just fine for all your needs, I also don't know why you need so many block off caps...? From every other Weber conversion on an EA82 I've seen, I don't recall this step.

Perhaps I am wrong.

PS, I mailed out your clips tonight.

This is where the simplistics of Electronic Fuel Injection come into play, No worries what so ever ;)

I think the stock jets will work just fine for all your needs, I also don't know why you need so many block off caps...? From every other Weber conversion on an EA82 I've seen, I don't recall this step.

Perhaps I am wrong.

PS, I mailed out your clips tonight.

Well i need to block off some stuff right? And I have no freaking clue what, or how to do it. :banghead:

OOH! It's shiny!

I live at about 4500 ft and the weber's stock jets ran a little rich, but I left it since my stomping grounds have a vast altitude range.

Here's a fairly striped EA82 manifold:

6989105379_3446ee7526_b.jpg

IMG_9048.JPG by subynut, on Flickr

From left to right:

There's two ports at the bend

Next is right above the EGR valve (it's missing in the pic, but you'll see it on your manifold)

Then there's the port on the other side of the EGR valve( I picked this one for the HVAC)

There's one right next to the PCV valve

The last one is next to the brake booster on the far right. (kinda hard to see since there's a piece of vac line stuck on it.)

You need to block all but one of those small ports.

Edited by subynut

OOH! It's shiny!

I live at about 4500 ft and the weber's stock jets ran a little rich, but I left it since my stomping grounds have a vast altitude range.

:) well i currently live at 6300 ft and drive up to 8000 4 days a week. but next year i will be living at 4500 roughly and driving up to 8000 on the weekends.

So what you are telling me is good news! :)

also thank you for shipping the clips Loyale.

and on a side note the gaskets that shipped with the carb were a little off and pulling funny so i trimmed em slightly. (is that okay?)

[hijack]

EFI is awesome when it works. As things age and begin falling in and out of spec as the temperature and humidity change, that's when the computer has a fit and cannot tell which way is up. Usually ends in with false codes or no codes at all. I love EFI, but with 25 year old wiring and parts, things get really frustrating when the computer doesn't know what's wrong and the engine is fine one day with a CEL and a bucking bronco the next with no CEL.:banghead:

[/hijack]

Well we are getting somewhere? am i even close? could you just cirlce them in MS paint? ahahaha cause this is what i got out of that?

What size are the vacuum ports so i know what size caps to get to plug them?

33ndyx4.png

alright i got the unused port to the right of egr. this picture is clearer

EA82IntakeManyfold1.gif

Edited by Moosen

Looks good to me.

As far as vacuum caps, I used an assortment pack. There were just enough of the sizes I needed to plug the ports.

Sounds good! I will be picking them up this week sometime, and then trying to do the install on friday in my buddies heated garage! Hopefully all goes as planned.

Do I need to route the fresh air into the air filter?

Also what am i doing as far as the egr is concerned? How can i plug that? or what does it even do?

Edited by Moosen