Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gaskets

ivans imports

OEM suby gaskets only...save yourself the head ache...Sometimes saving a buck isn't really saving a buck after all.

And make sure your using brown seals and not black...

Brown ones will be marked NTN, NSK....blacks are generic, and will leak right out the gate sometimes.

dont worry today is headgasket job # 5 thiss week all day evry day doing a 04 with 120000km when i planed the head could see the low spot on the # 4 and #3 holes on bottom corers i took pics of evry pass with planer you can realy see the problem spots on the first 3 passes total of about 2 thow to clean up whould have never worked unless planed and yes if its not a brown seal pitch it in the dirt and i use avinic form a gasket coating on evry head gasket

one more note the valves on the engine i just did where very tight had to open up the clearance a bitt seem to like the exhaust a bitt loose 0.25 mm exhaust and 0.15 mm intakes but all valves had to be reset its nice to be able to take heads off plane them and reinstall with no down time will try and get vidio of head planer in action for thiss thread its interesting to c how bad some heads are and blocks i c more warp and low spots on blocks than heads last block took 3 thow to clean up and barrels where definaty lower than rest of block by about 1-2 thow

we get lots of miles out of the subaru replacement gaskets as long as you dont trust the coating on them and coat it your self with a sealing compound i use avionic form a gasket just to isolate the gasket from coolant and oil thiss works well have done over 100 engines thiss way no combacks oh and i plane the heads myself to get perfect surfaces you can realy c the damage to the head surface when you plane it

planed a block half yesterday the # 4 barrel was 3 thow lower on bottom side than rest of block no way it ever whould have sealed it seems the barrels end up sitting lower than the rest of the deck hight think its from people doing poor headgasket jobs dam orbital grinders

Are the heads just warped or is it corrosion eating away at them?

I had .004" taken off of this one, got rid of all but about a dime sized spot around the small center coolant port. Thought I had an after pic but can't find it.

At the top of the pic you can see the burnout where compression was blowing past the fire ring. That was gone after the first pass at .002"

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r236/CadiLLacPimPin97/Random%20photography/IMG_0851.jpg

not just the heads the block to i do alot of reheadgaskting i fix all the other shops mess most have been orbital grinderd cokie cutter whatever you call the dam things out here the dealership uses those to do there head gaskets cause planing is not coverd under waranty so they do a crap job and a few months later i'm doing the heads agian 95 % of my head jobs are shop damage 5% is natural causes the last dealer head job was 16 bent valves two broke cam pullys suface the heads the owner only got 600000 kms out of it after spending 4000$ on head job gaskets where leaking the day it left dealer as they had rounded all the sealing edges off with grinder over 3 thow