Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need procedure for hvac control unit lights

I discovered a while ago that I made it into that thread indirectly (Commuter of i-club). :) Thanks goes to people on this board however who put me on the trail of the 7219 RadioShack bulb. I didn't come up with it.

The last time I did the climate control, I used the 7219 bulbs. They are smaller than the OEM replacements (which, I think have been enlarged from the very first ones I took out), so the green sleeve would not fit. As a result, I have 'white' climate control buttons instead of green, and they are a bit brighter as a result. Actually, I like the slight increase in brightness as I felt that the climate control was a little dim compared to the rest of the dash previously.

Commuter (97 OB)

I just changed mine. You need to take the heater/AC control unit out and apart the same as for the other bulbs. The AC light fits sideways in the switch button. Switch slides right out after releasing the integral "clip"

This time I bought the little microbulbs from RadioCrap (number is in other posts) and changed the old one out. I think you don't have to deal with the little cover as the bezel in the switch is green.

Real easy

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I actually did mine about 3yrs ago using the radio shack bulbs and they haven't failed yet, including two winters in NY state, so I would definitely recommend the radio shack bulbs if anyone has experienced that the OEM ones keep burning.

I needed the procedure for a colleague who just got his first legacy and found (of course) that his hvac control didn't light-up.

Take care,

Thorsten