Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No EGR - pass emitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fozester

Fozester

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Sherwood, OR

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

So my Forester doesn't have an EGR and it won't pass emissions because its throwing a P0401 code. :banghead:
The really crapper thing is that the engine doesn't have the port for the EGR either. Do get one, it would take about $600 worth of work since it is far past my mechanical skills.
My friend at work suggested resisters but General Disorder said that probably wouldn't work.
Does anyone know any tricks so i can pass DEQ? As a last resort, I will register it to be a primary car at a place where DEQ is not required but that could come back to bite me.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

Resistors won't work. You can fool the ECU into thinking the solenoid is good but that won't provide the MAP sensor pulse when the EGR opens or the O2 sensor readings the ECU is looking for to determine the EGR is working. If you do a bit of reasearch on P0400 codes you will find that people have tried plugging in working EGR solenoids (your co-worker's "resistor" trick is the same thing) and that doesn't work.

You can try swapping out to an EJ22 manual transmission ECU. That may work since your 25D was a manual to begin with.

GD

#3 afterbang

afterbang

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

I've been in a situation like this from swapping in a JDM N/A EJ20 engine in. It sucked. To pass DEQ, I had a shop take an EGR pipe, braze an extension on and have it connect from the valve all the way down and weld it into the exhaust manifold. This cost me like $250.00 and it ended up breaking. It did hold up for a good few years though before the engine spun a rod bearing and I had a good USDM motor installed and I passed DEQ twice with it this way. You live and you learn.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Problem he has is that his EJ22 manifold doesn't have the EGR at all. It's the wrong casting and there's no valve or any place to put one.

Putting the EGR bung in the exhaust would be easy actually - Nissan did that with their exhaust headers. Hell I could make a weld-in bung, cut the head end off of a factory EGR pipe and weld it to a section of steel tubing and run it to the manifold. Possibly with a flex section even to keep it from breaking due to vibration.

But all this costs time and money. You wouldn't like what I would charge for this service. :drunk: As noted - $250 got a questionable job done that broke from vibration after a couple years. My version wouldn't have that problem. And the cost would be commensurately higher.

GD

#5 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,746 posts
  • WV

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:45 AM

You can try swapping out to an EJ22 manual transmission ECU. That may work since your 25D was a manual to begin with.

i have a non-EGR ECU, engine, and intake manifold installed in my legacy and still get the codes. seems convoluted that the issue lies in the body side wiring harness, but that's all that's left on mine?

get an intake manifold with EGR and have the EGR pipe tapped into the exhaust. that would be the easiest/cheapest solution.

#6 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,928 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

emitions tests ????? what is that no smog control here howbout a canaidain cars ecu that does not have an egr or a plate like the ea81 uses between the header and the head with a port bung on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users