Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No EGR - pass emitions

Fozester

So my Forester doesn't have an EGR and it won't pass emissions because its throwing a P0401 code. :banghead:

The really crapper thing is that the engine doesn't have the port for the EGR either. Do get one, it would take about $600 worth of work since it is far past my mechanical skills.

My friend at work suggested resisters but General Disorder said that probably wouldn't work.

Does anyone know any tricks so i can pass DEQ? As a last resort, I will register it to be a primary car at a place where DEQ is not required but that could come back to bite me.

Resistors won't work. You can fool the ECU into thinking the solenoid is good but that won't provide the MAP sensor pulse when the EGR opens or the O2 sensor readings the ECU is looking for to determine the EGR is working. If you do a bit of reasearch on P0400 codes you will find that people have tried plugging in working EGR solenoids (your co-worker's "resistor" trick is the same thing) and that doesn't work.

You can try swapping out to an EJ22 manual transmission ECU. That may work since your 25D was a manual to begin with.

GD

I've been in a situation like this from swapping in a JDM N/A EJ20 engine in. It sucked. To pass DEQ, I had a shop take an EGR pipe, braze an extension on and have it connect from the valve all the way down and weld it into the exhaust manifold. This cost me like $250.00 and it ended up breaking. It did hold up for a good few years though before the engine spun a rod bearing and I had a good USDM motor installed and I passed DEQ twice with it this way. You live and you learn.

Problem he has is that his EJ22 manifold doesn't have the EGR at all. It's the wrong casting and there's no valve or any place to put one.

Putting the EGR bung in the exhaust would be easy actually - Nissan did that with their exhaust headers. Hell I could make a weld-in bung, cut the head end off of a factory EGR pipe and weld it to a section of steel tubing and run it to the manifold. Possibly with a flex section even to keep it from breaking due to vibration.

But all this costs time and money. You wouldn't like what I would charge for this service. :drunk: As noted - $250 got a questionable job done that broke from vibration after a couple years. My version wouldn't have that problem. And the cost would be commensurately higher.

GD

You can try swapping out to an EJ22 manual transmission ECU. That may work since your 25D was a manual to begin with.
i have a non-EGR ECU, engine, and intake manifold installed in my legacy and still get the codes. seems convoluted that the issue lies in the body side wiring harness, but that's all that's left on mine?

get an intake manifold with EGR and have the EGR pipe tapped into the exhaust. that would be the easiest/cheapest solution.