Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Question

ok the 87 wagon i bought a few weeks ago now. it has sat for about a year with the driver side valve cover off, the cam looks to be in good shape, really no rust on it or anything.

what do you guys reccomend? change the cams from my other engine i got onto this one and finish putting everything back together?

or put in the other engine i got, but the otehr engine is a EA82 bolted to a manual 2wd tranny, and without taking out my auto tranny how hord would it be to put in the new engine and bolt it up to the auto tranny.

i was thinking just pull the old engine, put the flexplate on the new motor, drop her back in, and bold the flex plate up and im done really, just like a chevy?

Thanks

Shean

well there is a TAD, i mean very light coating of surface rust that i could take off with my finger nail.

the engine has not problems, all that was wrong was it blea a head gasket so he replaced both. his neighbor came over to help and broke a bolt off into the cam box while putting the cam cover on.

Hm. Well, id scrape the rust off, hose it down with some brake cleen, and some WD40....put the cover on and fire it up. If the one broke bolt is near/next to the oil gally for the cam box...i'd invest some time to take the box off and replace the bolt and clean everything up....