Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 gl wagon problems(long)

well i put the engine back into the offroader the other day(85 gl wagon ea82 5 spd d/r)after redoing the seals/gaskets and de- emissioning it, and i cant get the fuel pump to kick on. i checked the fuses and they are all ok.

i dont think its getting power to the fuel pump. i checked the terminal and it didnt show any voltage, but i didnt check it with a multimeter. i dont have an ignition switch so i temporaly wired it up to a toyota ignition switch. now there are are only 4 wires coming out of the subaru harness that go to the switch and here is how i got it. 1 wire is the hot wire from the battery. 1 wire is the accesories. 1 wire is the starter, and the other wire im not sure about, so i connected the hot wire to it. when i connect the hot wire to the other two(not the starter) everything comes on but i cannot get the fuel pump to work.

i took the fuel pump off and if i wire it directly to a battery it will work, but it doesnt seem to be pumping very hard, it is like a trickle. it also doesnt work very well. do i need the ign switch in order for the fuel pump to work? is there a fuse or connector somewhere i can check? do i just need a new fuel pump?

also, how many fuel lines go into the carb? 2 right a big one feeding it, and a small one for the return. where does the other line coming out of the firewall go to. it is a small line next to what i thought was the fuel return line on the driver side below the wiper motor. its not the break booster.

where is the vacume line for the heater selector located. i think it is on the passenger side and connects to that big round ball loking thing, which i havent removed yet, am i right? also what is that metal thing connected to the passenger side fender behind the head light , connected to the same bracket that holds the intake tube for the carb cover. i think it went to the charcoal cannister and is not needed.

really other than the fuel problem she will run, a little rough, but i havent gotten to time her yet.

please help me and any pictures would be greatly appreciated. thanks

bump

can someone please answer my questions? i ask questions all the time and no one will answer them, but another person will get a 2 page thats cool responce to a hypothetical question which probably will not even happen.

please help, i have no one else to turn to. thanks.

1. don't bump unless it has been more than a day or if your topic has fallen off the first page

2. search before bump

3. don't make pointless bumps

4. bump if you have a development or something you forgot that might help

5. consider your subject line may need edited to draw attention

now for the help>>>

1. wtf are you doing putting hot to ground?????:confused:

2. one line TO carb for supply, one line TO tank for return

3. remove the third line for vapor return system

4. the heat control line goes from the selector to the firewall to the canister to the intake manifold, DO NOT remove the canister

5.the bracket to hold the canister??????:confused: just a guess, that area on mine met a powerpole, so I removed a ton of crap:brow:

I didnt see that you checked the fuel pump relay. That could be what the fourth ignition wire is for. Find the relay and test it or at least see if you are getting voltage to it when you turn the key. If the relay doesn't work, then your fuel pump wont either.

spideyz- good to find more bay area subers. sorry but there is no relay. bust out the diagrams.

sorry Iluvdrt but your question is a bit long. that may be the problem with responce.

if the pump did not do well with direct battery power then I think you may have at least part of the problem found. you should get a decent flow.

Originally posted by subiemech85

1. don't bump unless it has been more than a day or if your topic has fallen off the first page

2. search before bump

3. don't make pointless bumps

4. bump if you have a development or something you forgot that might help

5. consider your subject line may need edited to draw attention

now for the help>>>

1. wtf are you doing putting hot to ground?????:confused:

2. one line TO carb for supply, one line TO tank for return

3. remove the third line for vapor return system

4. the heat control line goes from the selector to the firewall to the canister to the intake manifold, DO NOT remove the canister

5.the bracket to hold the canister??????:confused: just a guess, that area on mine met a powerpole, so I removed a ton of crap:brow:

thanks for the help!

i only bumped because it was falling off the page, and i never get a responce to my questions. i did a search on the fuel pump and searched for a while, but didnt find anything out that would help me.

as for putting a hot to ground, i dont understand where i did that. nothing sparked and no fuses blew. as far as the schmatic goes my haynes only lists the mpfi, and spfi versions not the carb'ed one. why dont you remove the cannister? does it filter out the fumes from the vacume plug on the intake?

the bracket isnt the cannister holder its the intake tube retainer. on it there is a metal cylinder shaped thing that has a big vacume hose on it. i dont know what it is and i dont know if i need it.

again thanks.