Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rx troubles grrr!!

so the engine will stall when i come to stops and it takes many trys to get it to start back up. and when i get it going again i have to keep giving gas or it will just stall again. Its at normal op temp and seems to be running fine then just stalls. Very smooth stall, doesnt buck or anything just dies. does this sound like a fuel problem possibly?

Mike

i had an identical problem. it so happened that when the previous owner had fixed the broken intake he had somehow messed up the maf. easiest way to check is just to unhook the sensor and see if it idles. if it does, than thats the problem. if you take off the black cover on the top of the sensor there'll be a screw holding the gear in place, if you loosen that you can move the gear (which adjust the tension on the sensor door). I just moved mine around until i got it to where it idled right and then just snugged the screw back down. I reasealed the cover with silicone to to make it waterproof again.

i also had a bunch of oil blown back up in there too, and it helped to clean that out as well.

Originally posted by suba

i had an identical problem. it so happened that when the previous owner had fixed the broken intake he had somehow messed up the maf. easiest way to check is just to unhook the sensor and see if it idles. if it does, than thats the problem. if you take off the black cover on the top of the sensor there'll be a screw holding the gear in place, if you loosen that you can move the gear (which adjust the tension on the sensor door). I just moved mine around until i got it to where it idled right and then just snugged the screw back down. I reasealed the cover with silicone to to make it waterproof again.

i also had a bunch of oil blown back up in there too, and it helped to clean that out as well.

That won't work on an 89. Different MAF from yours.

My vote is an electrical connector that isn't seated completely/properly.

I would start with the 2 main plugs on the manifold wiring harness. I once got an 88 Turbowagon very cheap becuse one of those plugs was not seated properly and it caused all sorts of weird intermittent problems with the car. I seem to remember that random stalling was one of those problems.

I seem to remember that you recently had some work done on the RX. What was done? What ever area was taken apart, look at the various plugs around the worked on area and make sure things are as they should be. Also, check the wires to the coil and distributor.

When the car stalls, is it only when warm>?

it could also be a vacuum leak somewhere. Or it could be the ignition module in the distributor. I had one go bad a while back and had similar symptoms.

So are you even more confused now?

Well Caleb it turns out that it is a bad mass air flow sensor. I had to take it to a mechanic since it is my daily driver and i just dont have the time to do it myself. The real decision is is to keep searching for a maf or go and pay 500 from the stealer ship.

mike

No time to do it yourself?

it only takes 10 minutes to change... its right on top. 2 hose clamps and one plug. Don't pay a mechanic to do it.. it will take more time to drive to the shop than to fix it...at least you know what it is. Too bad its not one of the older ones like was described above that could be cleaned and adjusted.

Just check around on the board. I'm sure someone has one.. theres bound to be a certain amount of interchangeability. I have an 88 MAF on my 87 Turbo. I imagine 89 is the same.

I didnt mean no time to do it my self. i meant as no time to diagnose. hell if i could find one ill put id in. but as of right now its at a garage and wont drive safely enough to get it home. Im pretty sure 87-89 turbo will work. But the thing is like i said its my daily driver and i dont have time for to wait for someone to ship me one. i need it done by the end of the week.

mike