Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new brat project!

shortysayhi

7768e5b0.jpgcce62b47.jpg48daf004.jpg

The only rust that is apparent is the left wheel well, and a quarter sized speck near the end of the bed, inside isn't AS trashed as first thought (since i swept most of the glass out) and picking it up hopefully tomorrow! :grin: And THE HOOD is in PERFECT shape! found that above a little stream covered in snow.

I will be following as I am restoring mine. If you get a parts lead let me now, lol.

I will let you know deffinetly, the main things I need are glass, I'm not restoring I'm putting in ea82 with hi/low trans, lowering it and. Fixing the rust! And complete dash swap etc. same goes if you find some leads. I also

Had a idea of making the 4 lights changed overto the square gl/ legacy bracket type set up.

b6ae87b8.jpg16f8760e.jpgb697444f.jpgd55ed35e.jpgdc263bf3.jpg

So today was first day, and i tore Everything out!. Fixed dented roof a bit, but found out ea81 brat dashes aren't that hard to take out.

I had some other ideas (not sure if they are possible or not) but on the rear would it be possible to use shocks that are the same ones as the fronts? (obviously modification to accomplish it) but would it be better then the single shock?

I also had one more idea which is to use 86 gl wagon tail lights instead of the brat ones? whatcha think?

I had the idea to use an EA82 rear coilover in place of the Shock on an EA81 car, the main issue is making space for the Coil spring, a Spacer would be needed for the top to move it outward enough.

Using a front strut would be harder in the sense of the top hat being very different along with the lower strut mount which pushes into the Hub.

As for Making EA82 lights fit in the rear, sure, anything is possible with sheet metal, welding and bondo. Would be interesting to see done!

That rust in the rear strut tower looks pretty bad...:-\

I had the idea to use an EA82 rear coilover in place of the Shock on an EA81 car, the main issue is making space for the Coil spring, a Spacer would be needed for the top to move it outward enough.

Using a front strut would be harder in the sense of the top hat being very different along with the lower strut mount which pushes into the Hub.

As for Making EA82 lights fit in the rear, sure, anything is possible with sheet metal, welding and bondo. Would be interesting to see done!

That rust in the rear strut tower looks pretty bad...:-\

Yeah thats what i was thinking just have to take one off a gl and find out :eek: I'm just thinking since I'm moving the harness from my parts car (wagon) and engine from sedan i could use the tail lights make things simpler and parts are easier to find! :D I said this before, but i am ending up using gl rectangular headlights instead of the quad round ones. that will be a challenge

Yeah im not excited to fix it... unless i end up making wheel wells square-ish.

I want to say McBrat put coilovers under a 2nd gen Brat at some point. Ask his if e knows anything.

I think it was different, I'm pretty sure he changed to a solid axle and just used springs (not in the fender wells)

Heres my progression as of today, got the wagon ea82 harness out and dash, and started modifying! :D

78561464.jpg1cf79723.jpg

^^ yes

^ no

Yes McrBrat broke his torsion bar, on his stock rear axle setup. So he installed coilovers on the back to compensate for broken torsion bar. pretty sure he got the coilovers from a ea82 GL or a RX. He ran with that setup for a while on Mntn Grizz...

Then later in life, on his other Red BRat, he went to solid rear axle when he did his monster final build..

The Headlight will be interesting, I always kinda had this idea, and always wanted to see it realized. Guess we all will now!

Is that the EA82 dash in there? I am wondering how the window curve is gonna match up?

I'm deffinetly going through with the headlight task but it will have to wait till I get the engine, and fenders, bumpers fixed. Yes the dash is in I'm also putting the heater module in from my wagon (keep things easier) the only issue I am having on the dash is since I had to cut about an inch and half on both sides to clear the doors fixing the heater vents and sides is a challenge. I will get better pics this weekend. There is about half a inch gap from the bottom window sill to the edge of the dash gotta fix that as well hmm

Well worked on it today and gave up on the loyal dash it started becoming to hard of a task to get to fit let alone have the heater work... so i swapped the brat dash back in, but changed the gauges to the loyal ones with some modifications. Also i started fixing the fenders that were bashed in. will get pics tomorrow. Also started on the seats and ideas on the suspension conversion.

Well worked on it today and gave up on the loyal dash it started becoming to hard of a task to get to fit let alone have the heater work... so i swapped the brat dash back in, but changed the gauges to the loyal ones with some modifications. Also i started fixing the fenders that were bashed in. will get pics tomorrow. Also started on the seats and ideas on the suspension conversion.

I remember something similar like this when on in the Subaru Alliance, Xbeerd wanted an XT6 dash in his Loyale, after going over it and going over it, he decided that getting the unique heater controls to work and that the dash curve was different, that it was time to move on. Also, an XT6 steering wheel will NOT fit on an EA82 steering shaft.

XT6 may be based on the EA82 chassis, but there are a lot of changes (Kinda like Chaz Bono, bases on a Girl, but has a lot of changes)

As for the Brat, I'm looking forward to seeing an EA82 Gauge cluster in there!

I think those are just wagon wheels from a trailer, mounted in reverse so the fronts are in towards the axle and the inward part of the wheel is mounted outward.-with relocated valve stems.

Just saw this post and I am lost. Those wheels are not reverse mounted?!