Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new brat project!

shortysayhi

I would keep the quad headlight setup. Everyone complaines how the gl / loyale headlights suck. I can understand the custom aspect but i think those look better. Did you ever think of getting a legacy and snagging the entire drivetrain out of one of those. Since your not offroading you dont need the dual range and the weight of that vehicle vs the hp of the 2.2 will be a good combination. Plus if you wanted to lower it you have lots of options with the legacy stuff.

I would keep the quad headlight setup. Everyone complaines how the gl / loyale headlights suck. I can understand the custom aspect but i think those look better. Did you ever think of getting a legacy and snagging the entire drivetrain out of one of those. Since your not offroading you dont need the dual range and the weight of that vehicle vs the hp of the 2.2 will be a good combination. Plus if you wanted to lower it you have lots of options with the legacy stuff.

The loyal headlights i would end up doing the exact same thing that I've done on my gl10 which is the hid/projector conversion (its relatively simple) and increases visibility a whole ton. The main reason I'm using the dual range is I'm thinking of having 2 different coil over sets (one winter, one summer which is lower) and since i live in conifer (8500-9000) we have gotten 4 feet of snow in one night and i prefer the dual range over normal AWD, but also being able to drive to the ski slopes in colorado it pays to have more the awd, and in the summer its cheeper on gas since its fwd.

A 2.2 conversion is going to be done just a ways down the road (with the dual range). I have to get a bond title on the brat anyways and those can take along time to get, and i don't have enough money for a 2.2 conversion right now seeing as I'm a senior in High school still and no job.

I was going to post that too. 4 round lights will be much brighter than any setup from a plastic lens loyal. You can get Some pretty decent new Sylvania halogen rounds, and they will outshine most on the road with adequete wiring and relay.

Luck of the draw actually, i was up in boulder with my dad (he's buying a justy) and we asked the used parts dude if he had any brat parts. said tailgates are in bad shape you can take them.... they are in pretty GREAT shape besides a dent and no handles! so i took em! :D

Heres some pics.

5263771d.jpg8171f040.jpgabf2fa2a.jpgf02e785e.jpg

this don't look too good :\ Also just mocked this up to see if its possible

Also decided to just have a Extra car around so the 1.8 isn't going into the brat, I'm getting a 2.2.

picking up metal and my welder today (will get pics of how the shock towers are) also debating on a EJ22 ($950),EJ20T ($750) or EJ20TT($750)...Sooo... i want to get the EJ20TT... but not sure so... tell me your thoughts! :D I don't mind not using a gl (hi/low) trans, but would definitely like to.

Edited by shortysayhi

I am keeping it, sorry.

So made some progress today kinda, with 80-90 mph winds makes things hard to do.

481f9697.jpg1d21edeb.jpg

The project might have to be stopped and put on hold tho... :( theres a 3000 acre fire and growing miles away from my house, but hopefully nothing will happen

Yeah I'm not working with a good welder at all... (barrowing it from my school..). The front wheel wells I'm actually using 22gauge, and that rear piece is 16 guage.

Luckily the fire isn't coming towards my house, and my beloved brat :) and is way more contained then before!! :banana: :banana:

I have some parts hopefully coming in soon as well. Both door glass, front side lights, rear glass,