Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new brat project!

shortysayhi

16 to 18ga is perfect for fixing these Subarus, so I've found, 22ga might be a tad too thin, but if its working for you, have at it :)

Its deffinetly thin, but its working so far... might end up just putting another layer of it, on the inside of the wheel wells.

OK, so i need some advice... i am struggling with the idea of using my extra 86 gl D/R trans... with a ej22t. I know the stuff i would need, but i am not sure if its a smart idea, like if theres way to much power and it would tear it apart, or if its possible to use a STI trans (6 speed), if i would need to do some modifications to get it to work? or if i just used a 5 speed manual trans outta a legacy etc...

Please i need some adviceeee!

The 5spd D/R will hold up just fine, just don't be dumping the clutch and such, its not a race car. The 4spd D/R out of an EA81 could handle the power/torque, but then someone started getting careless and started dumping the clutch and doing burn outs (Blew that gearbox up pretty good)

5spd D/R is the way to go.

a STi 6spd will very costly.

5spd Legacy, and then you need to figured out the AWD bs.

Okay I don't plan on doing burn outs but maybe a little show boating :drunk: but with the 6 speed would I have to relocate the starter? (my main concern). Or maybe a wrx trans?

This project might get pushed out and put on hold (money related)

But what would be the ideal set up? And most logical one?

I'm not sure about the starter placement on the newer trans, I know on my '95 4EAT is was still in the same spot as an EA82.

If you go with an EJ trans, you will need a $200 adaptor plate (or possibly make your own) it has to be the correct thickness as well (1/4" or 3/8" IIRC?)

Also, clutch kit is more costly for the EJ trans. WRX might have a Hydro assist, I know the first gen Turbo Legacy does.

As for logical, it all depends what you'd like to spend. The 5spd D/R is probably cheaper and you have tabs on one, right? So the hunt is already taken care of.

I personally would use the 5spd D/R. Anybody else?

Yeah, in my parts wagon I have a full trans with matching rear diff. So all id need is the adapter plate. I mean I want to have more of a full time all wheel drive instead of the fw/4wheel. (I'll just deal if I have too..). I do want to keep it pretty simple, but get the best option with cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay well today i got some motivation to do some work. so i pulled the trans, axle and rear diff. and the exhaust.

first off does any one know what gear ratio is the rear diff? (trans is 4 speed if it helps)

14d36f52.jpg0010f1d6.jpg

e31b5f96.jpg898d63d3.jpg

I don't need this trans or exhaust... so if anyone wants them ill sell em!

How much for the Y pipe ?

Would you cover the ends and ship it raw? Shipping companies are ok with that.

Make me a offer (PM) and i have no problem shipping anything (i just wanna make sure theres no clogged parts like leafs)

So today i contacted someone who had some parts and went down to pick them up!

I got:

2 Doors - COMPLETE with mirrors and With perfect glass!

1 Rear glass (double sliding panes) and Gasket

2 front corner lights

1 rear tail light

1 instrument cluster

all the bed trim (silver)

tailgate handle

tomorrow hopefully going back and grabbing rear roll bar (high one) and front mini push bar, and heater core.

had to stop getting parts because it started snowing :banghead:

I also have a line up on a 94 EJ22T (obd1?) with 137,xxx on it. for only 900. Would it be better to go with a newer ej22t thats obd2?

I also have a hook up on a obd1 (out of a 94) harness with ecu.

I honestly don't know the difference between obd1 and 2... could any one elaborate?

and could you use a 94 engine with a Obd2?

Edited by shortysayhi

Well i got some more stuff! and put some stuff in!

front xt6 calipers, and rotors (still have to get the hubs)

I got the rear window gasket put in, and temporarily set the roll bar in! it looks Sweeeeeeettt!!!!!!!!! and clears the jump-seat, seat belts and frame.

201c9482.jpg

tomorrow swapping the doors and more!

7cc8cdc5.jpg

185ef4d3.jpg

Got the doors on and glass isn't damaged! :D Also put a different tail gate on and started to make it fit closed. One tail light is also on, door cards back on, picking up my harness and ecu tomorrow. Got some helpful info about splice/ soldering the harnesses together from Prwa101.

So dove deep into labeling everything on my brat harness (its super difficult when none of the connections were attached when i bought it. Also starting on my ej harness. I could use some ideas on what trans to get, I'm using a ej trans just not sure whats best :confused: legacy, outback legacy, impreza, wrx etc (5 speed is mandatory)

Also is running hub adapters really bad for a "street" car? (I'm contemplating them instead of doing a full blown 5 lug swap. (since its so expensive and parts are hard to come by)

Its looking great, and i like your workshop by the way :drunk:

Thanks! My dads got all his toys in the garage... so I'm forced out side.. Into the wilderness! :D

It's lookin good man! :D

Thanks!

Last night i got this! still trying to locate a ej22t diagram... this looks like its going to be a MAJOR pain :horse:

bfdf620e.jpg

Alright, i am pretty sure I'm going to get someone else to do the harness for me. I don't trust my self enough! hahaa.

But I've also been looking at which would be better, a FRONT mount intercooler or a Top mount? i know theres fab work in both, but is one "better" then the other? Would having a FMIC be bad in the winter because of snow?