Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new brat project!

shortysayhi

Top mount is prone to heat soak and at lower speed will do more harm than cooling. If you are able to do a FMC you will be better off. Don't worry about snow either, Colorado is not that bad to hurt that. Unless you are gonna be plowing snow and drifts that is.

If it were mine I would do a FMC.

Forgot to ask where you snagged the doors?! I can't find any local parts.

Not to deter the thread but do you have access to any fenders?

There was a brat at the Denver Junkyard (off I76) and i grabbed the doors, and roll bars etc. The fenders were pretty good at the pull and pay my old doors i have no use for besides spares so I'm contemplating on what to do with them.

Edited by shortysayhi

If you go there be careful the engine/crossmember isn't connected to the frame anymore. i had to take the bolts out to get the bumper bar off (i took the bolts too)

Just make sure the FMIC is protected. You have a skid-plate for the oilpan, make sure the intercooler is tucked away or has reinforcement in front of it.

*Mad-Max ideas popping into head* :brow:

Also whats your ideas?! :D

Edited by shortysayhi

Also whats your ideas?! :D

Well... :D

Wrong Brat I know, but with fmic it will end up something like this:

408158_357871810896713_100000216909175_1675589_1166095910_n.jpg

Wheather or not you use one this big or cut through the bumper is your choice.

And I was thinking of a skidplate that comes up in front of the intercooler, that way you have protection for both oilpan and fmic with one deal. Something like this, maybe a little taller in the front for more intercooler protection:

392096_332973393386555_100000216909175_1580654_74531946_n.jpg

Thats if you want to stay stock height or maybe lower. If you are going for a lift I was envisioning a up-side-down cow catcher type tube bumper. Kinda like trophy truck style.

So I've been looking around this forum and I'm super confused. On a ej transmission what spline count would a 5mt be?

What spline count is a 79 brat manual?

What spline count is a newer 6 speed?

Also my friend is contacting some of his machinist buddy's to see if they would re drill the hubs to 5x100 rather than doing the whole 5 lug swap. Which would mean I can run better bigger brakes with out the major mods.

Alright, i am pretty sure I'm going to get someone else to do the harness for me. I don't trust my self enough! hahaa.

But I've also been looking at which would be better, a FRONT mount intercooler or a Top mount? i know theres fab work in both, but is one "better" then the other? Would having a FMIC be bad in the winter because of snow?

The wiring is very similar to the naturally asperated Ej22. Less than 5 wires if I remember correctly. Honestly, I would just put an Ej22 in it. Lots of issues to solve like fuel delivery (pump and lines), engine crossmember notching, and such to do either way but running the turbo engine with the little EA71 style radiator might be pushing it.

The wiring is very similar to the naturally asperated Ej22. Less than 5 wires if I remember correctly. Honestly, I would just put an Ej22 in it. Lots of issues to solve like fuel delivery (pump and lines), engine crossmember notching, and such to do either way but running the turbo engine with the little EA71 style radiator might be pushing it.

I'm just not sure how to wire it all together. I have found some 22t radiators, I don't mind messing with fuel or notching the cross member. There's a 2.2t up in conifer (right near me for 1000 with full exhaust) I'm considering trading my yz125 for it... But not sure. I have done a lot of thinking about 2.2 vs 2.2t and I don't mind the further agrivation to build a sweet a** subi!

I love this project. So many would not have taken it on. I really hope you save it. Looking forward to thread updates. Best of luck!!!

Thanks. My mom keeps saying I should get rid of it because my dad and I keep buying more cars.

I am having some trouble finding 18g sheets up near me tho

Just saw this thread! When you get this done, we need to go wheel the Brats together!

Or a cruise or something. I'm also looking into a machine shop that my dad has know for 20+ years about re drilling hubs to 5x100 or building adapters. But I'm lowering it. If I get another brat I'll lift it

Thanks. My mom keeps saying I should get rid of it because my dad and I keep buying more cars.

I am having some trouble finding 18g sheets up near me tho

I had to go to a metal/fab shop to get mine, Lowes/Home Depot don't carry. 18g should be common at a fab shop.

Just saw this thread! If you see a lifted black Brat running around, that'd be me. I go through Conifer on occasion to hit the trails.

Please call me when you are going to go. Would like to tag along or bring a ride along too.

I had a Interesting idea.. Not even sure if it's possible or would work... But what if you took the front calipers off a xt6 or any other car and put them on the rear so you would have the rear E-brake?

Well got the metal measured and going to get it cut tomorrow then more welding. :Flame:

• 3 weeks later...

So i need a LEFT REAR taillight, I'm starting to put some stuff together again, but since my seats are so tore up, I'm weighing the options of getting them re-upholstered, vs something like this http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ATG0/FML100/N0600.oap?******=Search_seats_N0600_1305548_3815&keyword=seats&pt=N0600&ppt=C0379