Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Retro GL-10 TURBO build

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#376 rpholz

rpholz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Concord, NC

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Interested in seeing how you like the manual steering

#377 Nico

Nico

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

Interested in seeing how you like the manual steering

from the reviews on here it seems like the VGR rack is the one to get.... my car is so scary on the hwy as soon as I turn that wheel a inch its like crossing 12 lanes lol... feels like I got a quick rack or something.

well people have asked how did I bolt up the coil overs in the rear so easy. in the pictures you can see everything in order.

what kit I used is the HSD STi GRB 08-12 set up, what I keep from my Leone is the top mount bracket and spring perch cap. drill the same size hole as the washer from the HSD kit so the spring perch cap will go on.

then pop out the bushings & tube from the HSD GR STi stuff and use them on your new set up.

the only other thing is the lower mount on a GR STi has a 55mm wide bushing tube, you would need to cut it down to 45mm size to fit in the rear control arm lower. the bolt is the same 12mm size flange bolt so no need for a spacer in the bushing tube.

14029405175_c19f954124_c.jpg

14049418873_a6ffebc2be_c.jpg

all put together

14049420303_da0f026828_c.jpg

14026203032_9f8c16f458_c.jpg

so if one is going to be buliding a Leone in the future the best kit to get would be the Subaru GRB STi 08-12 suspension kit. ohlins ? KW ? Bilstein ? :D future for me for sure ;)

the front you would need the GRB STi 08-12 knuckle with the bolt on bearing which is better they say for its bigger bearing, the top plate will not work unless you drill it out to match your car top mount pattern which is pretty much the same as a 1989-2001 Legacy impreza car pattern.

also the rear in the BRZ is the same as the GRB, the front is the same as a 1989-2001 impreza legacy but the shock is shorter but will work also with the non larger knuckles.

Edited by Nico, 27 April 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#378 rpholz

rpholz

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Concord, NC

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Well, my thought is the EA power steering pump sucks.

I've looked into swapping to a ej style pump but the bracket is so far off it would take too many hours to make it all work.

So if the manual rack works out well in an auto-x or hillclimb situation I'll run that as I have one I pulled from my XT DL.

#379 Nico

Nico

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Well, my thought is the EA power steering pump sucks.

I've looked into swapping to a ej style pump but the bracket is so far off it would take too many hours to make it all work.

So if the manual rack works out well in an auto-x or hillclimb situation I'll run that as I have one I pulled from my XT DL.

well the manual rack wont fit... I lowered my motor so the sti 6mt would fit and am using the longer u joint any ways when the manual rack is there i would need even a longer u joint... i have a leone wagon im building next so ill use it for that. 

lots and lots of work went down so far, for the front I changed the rubbing in the pockets of the control arms which alone made the car feel amazing... I stripped everything out and under coated it all along with wrapping my exhaust well worth it all even though its a pain.

all the sand blasted powder coated stuff was add along with the upgraded bushings and oem subaru bolts.

the only thing missing now is the front GR sti knuckle bearings, the sti sealed bearings are being made into 5x100 from 5x114 thanks to my good friend that owns a machine shop

super rare no longer made front bumper clips got made from a 3D printer collage kid which made them so good there better then the real ones.. he used some hard plastic and chemical to harden the clips so they last long.

looks amazing now with the second trim on the top of the bumper very happy now.

with all the new bushings repaired shocks & fixed cross member, it feels amazing drives like its on rails ! point and shoot now feel ! ... I still need a corner balance & alignment done so it will only get much better.

straight from japan !! this is the holy grail of part numbers for my car. with this book and part numbers all I can say is WOW WOW..... there is a boat all read in bound from japan to canada with my new parts on it like the JDM skirt kit, the jdm air dam along with much much more things for this car and my other build the Leone Wagon.

#380 138

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Russia

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

scan and lay out a general review of n -)))

#381 AWD J3wman

AWD J3wman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Richfield, MN

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Still want to get some replacement stickers so I can repaint my wagon...

Where did you find those? I feel like I've asked this before on JNC.

#382 AWD J3wman

AWD J3wman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Richfield, MN

Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

A factory RX front air dam.

Thanks

#383 nick1208

nick1208

New User

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Tacoma WA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Could you post some pictures from inside that optional parts book of some parts some of us have maybe never seen? would be cool to see all the JDM options

#384 tizzle

tizzle

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Link to a vast collection of Subaru catalogues:

http://a15ff11300g.s...type leone.html

#385 nick1208

nick1208

New User

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Tacoma WA

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

^ awesome! thanks

#386 TripleJ92

TripleJ92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Coeur d'Alene, ID

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

This is the most amazing build I have ever seen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users