Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retro GL-10 TURBO build

Nico

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a couple years late to this thread but how, this is a spectacular build. Thanks for sharing so much!

its my madness project lol, but glad you like how its come along.. still more to come but fixing small things for better performance

subaru 80's old meets subaru 2012 new moulded into one...

cnc billet aluminium & anodized black, now I can add a pillow ball at the top mount like the front..

16573512648_5a91706972_b.jpg

16141144423_02eba4d595_b.jpg

next project is cnc billet aluminium front control arms with pillow ball and 1' longer so I can get some larger cv axles to with stand the abuse I am about to put down. cv axles will be new age subaru length.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's really cool. If you are making extras or have CNC plans, I would be interested.

my guys are so busy they made mine and told me its going to be a while.. but i have another way of doing this with out costing so much which you will see in the wagon build i have going on... got new tricks for coilovers in the wagon...

so this is my rear top hats bolted up with spherical bearings.. the lower cups also have 2015 STi spherical bearings made buy subaru which I needed to make a spacer.

16930594302_c0bc4fcfc6_b.jpg

I decide to get serious with my coil-overs to make this car handle like a top notch missile and I got the GR STi Ohlins road & track set.. I have to do two mod's to make them fit perfect which is the lower rear bushing mount will be made new with a STi spherical bearing and drill the front top plates to early subaru size like leone/gc8. my reactions from just holding the ohlins is how light weight they are WOW half the weight of my hsd..

16724559077_7b385fc58f_b.jpg

like to thank jake @ ohlins usa for hooking me up with the extend clickers also !.. there on the way.

• Like 4

I am ill... simply ill... Hat's off to you sir! I have no idea how I missed this from the start. Took a while to catch up on all of it, but it was well worth the time! Absolutely frickin' incredible! I've always wanted to do something like this to one of my Brat's but two things have stopped me. Money and that I just can't (yet) bring myself to 'bastardize' a Brat. This thread, however, has just about pushed that over the edge. I think my near pristine '87 Brat that was slated for full resto will be going a slightly different direction. Since it didn't have factory jump seats, which is a big deal to me, I bought it strictly as a money maker. Stole it in a barter deal, no cash. Sure don't need them for this type of build as there's no way in HELL it will be going off road. You sir, are an artist, a visionary and an inspiration to us with EA Subarus!!!

On a side note: Love the bonus pics of the other cars! We have a '74 MG Midget. Last year of the chrome bumpers. Complete with a brand new engine, all suspension and bushings. New top, no rust, never wrecked and snagged it for a grand on a labor trade! It gets stripped to a rolling chassis this summer for new paint and possibly a new harness. Gotta get rid of that crappy English wiring. ;)  You know why the English don't build computers? They haven't found a way to give them an oil leak!!! LMAO

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 1

I never thought I'd see someone put Ohlins on an old Leone.

Props to you good sir.  Props indeed.   :headbang:

lol I couldn't put them down at the store so I had to bring them home with me... I hope they live up to the hype

I am ill... simply ill... Hat's off to you sir! I have no idea how I missed this from the start. Took a while to catch up on all of it, but it was well worth the time! Absolutely frickin' incredible! I've always wanted to do something like this to one of my Brat's but two things have stopped me. Money and that I just can't (yet) bring myself to 'bastardize' a Brat. This thread, however, has just about pushed that over the edge. I think my near pristine '87 Brat that was slated for full resto will be going a slightly different direction. Since it didn't have factory jump seats, which is a big deal to me, I bought it strictly as a money maker. Stole it in a barter deal, no cash. Sure don't need them for this type of build as there's no way in HELL it will be going off road. You sir, are an artist, a visionary and an inspiration to us with EA Subarus!!!

On a side note: Love the bonus pics of the other cars! We have a '74 MG Midget. Last year of the chrome bumpers. Complete with a brand new engine, all suspension and bushings. New top, no rust, never wrecked and snagged it for a grand on a labor trade! It gets stripped to a rolling chassis this summer for new paint and possibly a new harness. Gotta get rid of that crappy English wiring. ;)  You know why the English don't build computers? They haven't found a way to give them an oil leak!!! LMAO

thank you !!

I would love a Brat and would do the same even if I found a mint one, in the end you cant bring your toy to the grave so might as well put a smile on the face when you get in it and drive it the way you made it.. that's just my thought on it

motivation from me to you good sir ! :)

001_subaru_SOOOBY%20424.jpg

http://www.customstreeter.com/feature_subaru_brumby.html

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=111465

those bonus pics are some of the cars my pops works on lol ill have to pass on that joke with the wiring to him he will get a kick from that haha

so here they are, my very own aluminium control arms like the big boy STi have. now the little Leone can be up to STi spec !

But the little Leone has 1up on the STi with the 2015 STi oem pillow ball bushing in its place :D

25mm longer so now I can run oem cv axles from a STi or those 800hp ones..

16373779374_d686c20155_b.jpg

16808427738_55c533b465_b.jpg

• Like 4

Why so long? I use jdm axles with XT6 arms, inner six-ball CVs. Think 10 mm will be enough.

GD STis have a wider track and therefore longer axles than most EJs. 

Nico. You should use or make adjustable/longer leading rods to improve your caster too. Maybe with some heim joints on the inside. Seems a shame to spend all the time and money on lightweight aluminum arms to still have to fight that bushing for suspension movement.

• Like 1

+1 for Numbchux idea! When I put the adjustable strut rods in my Brat, I shortened the inner spacer between the bushings to suck it up and really hold the bushings. Got rid of most of my front end shudder when cornering, but you'll never get rid of all of it running bushings. Now why didn't I think of that!? lol

• 2 weeks later...

GD STis have a wider track and therefore longer axles than most EJs. 

Nico. You should use or make adjustable/longer leading rods to improve your caster too. Maybe with some heim joints on the inside. Seems a shame to spend all the time and money on lightweight aluminum arms to still have to fight that bushing for suspension movement.

its funny you say that I been looking at these.. i think nissan toyota used these.. the two bolt look like they fit in our arms. I would just need to remove the large mount we have that holds the 2 rubber bushings.. then spin the rod to length on one of the 3 bolt holes we have under there.

ill measure things up soon.... also the caster I have on the top set at 4 deg I think, I forget its been a while now.

cus-rod.gif

Tein%20Pillow%20Ball%20Tension%20Rod%20L

ohlins custom made for the Leone STi.. lower mount was machined new to be used with the oem 2015 STi pillow ball bushing.

16935230289_dcaa00fde1_b.jpg

• Like 2

its funny you say that I been looking at these.. i think nissan toyota used these.. the two bolt look like they fit in our arms. I would just need to remove the large mount we have that holds the 2 rubber bushings.. then spin the rod to length on one of the 3 bolt holes we have under there.

ill measure things up soon.... also the caster I have on the top set at 4 deg I think, I forget its been a while now.

Nice, that looks like it would be a close fit. I'd make a bracket using the other 2 bolt holes to support that heim double-shear.....those captive nuts are not terribly sturdy individually.
  • Like 1

Nice, that looks like it would be a close fit. I'd make a bracket using the other 2 bolt holes to support that heim double-shear.....those captive nuts are not terribly sturdy individually.

ya ill have to make something for sure to hold it stiff in there... cars all most out for summer to try all these new toys on it cant wait...

so since I was making stuff I made pillow ball bushing inserts for my arms in the rear to give it that razor sharp handling...

17017385900_0917b9522f_b.jpg

cusco design

busshing_pillow_ball.jpg

Porsche 911 has all most same design look rear arms and they also upgrade with pillow ball

top-view-rear.jpg

side-view-rear.jpg

911-trailing-arm-services-diagram.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great build I was wondering what brand and part number are the spherical bearings you went with Looking to make a set of my own for an RX build. And by chance do you have the part number for the 2015 sti pillow bushing thanks. Great work agian.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Subscribed! This is amazing!

Thank you

Great build I was wondering what brand and part number are the spherical bearings you went with Looking to make a set of my own for an RX build. And by chance do you have the part number for the 2015 sti pillow bushing thanks. Great work agian.

I'm using a Japanese brand for the pillow ball there nmb I believe, I get you that part number on the STi bushings..

Well been slacking on my journal here is my Instagram more recent stuff and videos up

https://www.instagram.com/nico_zone/

Edited by Nico

new control arms on, ohlins on, pillow ball heim joint the hole car.... feels great now just need alignment..

11312519_1613504088861388_383976625_n.jp

was testing it on the track and she handles like a dream... only thing missing was a race seat to hold me.

2015 Sparco Grid.. so light weight from there old line up of seats.

17883939831_754aa75899_b.jpg

STi axles now

11257852_1586494701631092_1889794709_n.j

more pictures and videos of my Leone on Insta-gram

@nico_zone • Instagram photos and videos

Edited by Nico
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Nico, have you had any trouble with the rear diff hanger or 'mustache bar' twisting sine you made its mounting bushes more solid? Ive heard stories but they don't make much sense to me...

I figure if anything is going to twist it, your car would have done it...

• Like 1

Nico, have you had any trouble with the rear diff hanger or 'mustache bar' twisting sine you made its mounting bushes more solid? Ive heard stories but they don't make much sense to me...

I figure if anything is going to twist it, your car would have done it...

mine seems to be ok, I'm pretty ruff with the white car its held up... its a xt6 one also

Nah ... His should be good as he has a reinforced one ... ;)

14179710432_769ba16776_c.jpg

Earlier versions didn't have them, ( the bit welded along the top ) hence the bending.

Cheers, Bantum ...

good to know I have 2 xt6 ones like that with that extra metal on it
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

PLEASE post a video of this beast  :burnout:

post above has my instagram with videos on the track

so since I was on the track and all most lost a motor to a faulty oil pressure sensor leaking I decided to get some proper equipment to finish the system off and new sensors.

Radium fuel rails and Bosch FPR adapter to keep it nice and simple and in series on my spare Spec-c V8 STi intake manifold.

I can build the proper lines now then swap them on to my Leone

19578569972_4e11ba0b5b_c.jpg

18964542803_776ee7fc19_c.jpg

also finally finished my new front bumper... JDM/USDM mixed with Canada top trim and impact beam.. fully mutt now lol.

19397494480_3e7c444720_c.jpg

all done no more accidents please !!!... next to my favourite year Subaru 2015 got to get one of these

19397476898_bf3715cb4c_c.jpg

• Like 2