Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatachi question

According to Austin, I have a hatachi carbrator, or a 4 bolt carter-webber, anyway theres adjusment screws at the base front center of it, blocked with a cotter pin, and it's believed to be the mixture adjuster screws behind that, theres 2 of them though, one above the other, anyone know what it is I'm talking about, I'm trying to get this thing leaned out a little so it passes emissions, it's just running slightly to rich. And I want to get it done tomarrow morning if I can, sooner the better. Thanks for any information.:banghead:

well they're behind a post thats blocking access to them intentionally so people like me can't easily modify it to pass emissions, but theres 2 screws back there, not one. and the little metal sleave can easily be drilled out. So, I'm wondering wich one of the two it is, it's one above the other, right on the front of the carbrator, at it's base. I don't have a picture yet to show, but I'll try to snap one tomarrow early morning.

I know exactly what your talking about :) I rembember messing with that on an old subaru i had. I think i used a nail or something to remove that pin, and im almost positive its the bottom hole that has the screw

Its a pain in the butt to get to the screw unless you have a small stubby flathead.

-Brian

yeah, well it's obnoxious, I've replaced the air filter, cap and rooter, and spark plugs and spark plug wires, patched all the vacume leaks, and now it's failing emissions like it's running just slightly rich.... Before I did all that, it failed only the hydrocarbons at idle.... now it fails everything but the hydrocarbons at cruise rpm... So, I'm trying to figure out how I can easily get it to pass, it runs nice and everything, sounds good, runs smooth, doesn't misfire... it has a little bit of hessitation though if it's idling, and you stomp on the gas pedal... I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But I want it to pass lol. I'm tempted to just replace the whole intake system with a de-emissioned one and then send it through emissions.