Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best clutch for EJ to EA swaps

sasquatch86

I have read so many different reviews on which clutches to use my head is spinning.

I have an

'83 GL wagon

'86 GL 5speed d/r trans

'90 EJ22

4" SJR lift

27" grenral grabbers on 14" pugs

I got the adapter plate and the flywheel from SJR too.

Should I go with the XT6 clutch kit and pressure plate?

I'd like to hear opinions on this. I want to drop the motor in next week.

Thank!

I just got done with a similar swap and a Sachs XT6 clutch kit feels great in mine. Some have said however that the only way to get a pressure plate with the full XT6 clamping force is to buy it from the dealer. I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend and how hard on it you intend to be. Just make sure the flywheel stepping correctly matches the pressure plate you choose.

I am using an XT6 flywheel drilled by SJR and machined by a local shop. It is mated to a '93 EJ22 with Scotts adapter kit and a Sachs XT6 clutch kit, yes 8 7/8 x 24 spline. Trans is a (modified) 3.9 ratio RX box with center-locking diff and 23 spline stubs for EA81 front axles.

XT6 flywheels have a slightly different step, and are lighter. But XT6 and EA82 clutch kits will interchange.

I've used a Beck/Arnley XT6 clutch kit from RockAuto 3 times. Once in an Xt6, and twice in Ej swaps. I absolutely love 'em, very high quality (all new parts, not remanufactured), doesn't slip, but very forgiving.. I will be using one in my Brat once I get the EJ swap done in it.

I don't think you can use an EA81 flywheel for an EJ swap at all, but I could be wrong.

Sure you can, if you are putting it with a 4spd it's no different.

It can be used with the 5spd too (at least the larger 225mm ones) but it's thicker so some have had to space out the starter. No totally sure.