Ultimate Subaru Message Board

supercharger on an ea81

AKghandi

so I've got an 84 hatchie and since its yellow with black stripes over the top i thought it would look sweet with a bird catcher sticking out of the hood.

Now I've looked through a couple threads but it seems no one has actually done it. I've thought it through a few times and i think it would be some what easy

so heres my plan: super charger of some kind, ea82t pistons(maybe not),afr gauge, adjustable fpr, bigger fuel pump, a carb off of something, adapters for the intake and carb, maybe a delta cam and some mild porting.

now that seems like everything i should need to make it work aside from a few random things that may arise.

this guy has supergharged a geo metro in the same kinda way its where i got my idea, theres a build thread for it somewhere but i cant remember where..

this is all speculations as there is still 5ft+ of snow outside

i used an SC12 off a toyota 4agze running blowthru configuration on my homemade carb running dedicated LPG/Propane.

it went really well until 'the fuzz' caught me driving it without the correct paperwork for the modifications...i didn't get the fine from 'nam (which he was meant to give me) however i had 48hrs to get the vehicle 'returned to legal configuration' or i would get the fine

0 . But I gotta learn some time right?

Plus superchargers are very simple, air goes in gets compressed By the rotors then gets sent into the motor. That combined with my knowledge of turbos I think I can figure most of it out.

GD just for kicks if you were to s/c an ea81 how would you do it?

Any particular faults I should expect? Head gaskets, Pistons that kinda thing. It would only run maybe 5psi

If you are going to use a carb - are you going to do a blow-through or a draw-through setup? If you are doing a blow-through then what are you going to do about sealing the carb and how will you handle the fuel pressure? What will you do with the power valve when the manifold pressure goes positive?

It can and has been done. But I wouldn't bother doing it to an EA. An EJ of some sort.... maybe.

There's a lot of consideration that goes into building a proper forced induction engine of any kind. You have to understand a lot more than the average mechanic about vacuum and pressure. And doing it with a carb is ten times harder than with fuel inejction.

GD

I was thinking about the mini cooper sc too it would work the best I think but the bird catcher would be at the front of the hood and I think It would look funny

It's going to be a draw through setup and for a carb I was going to use something off of something already turbo'd or supercharged. maybe a 81t/a turbo those are draw through but I can't remember if it was Carb or f/I maybe thecarbs off of a massirati biturbo

I've seen the ram engines stuff but I'm not made of mOney so that pretty much rules them out. although a 200hp ea81 in a hatchie would be amazing.

Here in a few weeks I'm going to sell my 87gl10 to start the mods on the hatchie so I should have around 1400 to put in to the hatchie aside from the s/c it will get a 4 inch lift some 28s bumper winch lights and some mudflaps (that's happening first)

The reason for all of this is my brother passed away about 2 weeks ago and I'm going to build it as a memorial to him. It was even built when he was born 7/84

Edited by AKghandi

It's going to be a draw through setup and for a carb I was going to use something off of something already turbo'd or supercharged. maybe a 81t/a turbo those are draw through but I can't remember if it was Carb or f/I maybe thecarbs off of a massirati biturbo

EA81T's are fuel injected. Masarati used a blow-through with the carbs at manfiold pressure.

In theory you can use any normal carb with a draw-through.

Personally I think it's a waste of time. But whatever.

GD

Im also going tO be starting a job at a recycling yard here pretty soon so finding parts should be easy. This isn't goin to be a race car it's just going to look sound cool and help turn the meats a little better I expect maybe 120 hp at the very most. Probably closer to 100Hp

Im also going tO be starting a job at a recycling yard here pretty soon so finding parts should be easy. This isn't goin to be a race car it's just going to look sound cool and help turn the meats a little better I expect maybe 120 hp at the very most. Probably closer to 100Hp
Then just go with an Ej22 swap.

I've thought about it but I really like the ea81 and there are ways to make them powerful and an ej swap would be too expensive and time consuming I want to do the s/c because it will be cheap. And I won't have to pull my motor. after I blow it up I might consider an ej

Keep in mind I paid 150$ for the car with 146k miles

whats the capacity per rev on that blower....it looks pretty large.....

if you have too big a supercharger you will need to spin it too slow, remembering that a lobe blower like that puts out pulses of air on the discharge side....

if you have it geared slow you can end up with that the gap between the pulses ending up lining up with a cylinder intake stroke once every so many revs= poor running and a rather large motor shake for no apparent reason

I've considered that and I was planning on running a larger pulley because I want to run low boost just to keep it reliable

As for the s/c I haven't decided which one I'm going to use it will probably be smaller than that paticular one

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

No I hadnt 1LT.

The trike battery just needed a shock charge. its fine now.

This little item finally arrived in my hands.

H8250016.jpg

Rocket had one on back order (although different as it was 12 volt.) Then a delay etc. This one works so that under 22 psi it wont suck water from the vacuum.

So this w/end going to install that, take 5 minutes max. Then I have water injection. Test it, install the mini baffles on order then dyno. Picked up a S/hand electronic dizzy on ebay for $50 from a wrecker (sorry dismantler !!) and it turned out to be in VGC. There was even pink paint on the two screws securing the mudule on,,,,thinking it was there from new. shaft has no play etc.

That dizzy made its way to Performance ignition Nunawading where it was dismantled, checked, oil hole enlarged (he told me it can be a problem with these as much can restrict oil access) and recalibrated for the supercharger.

VW performance where the dyno is done will collect it and as soon as the baffles are installed dyno time. finally.

yes Toonga....video before and after baffles :)

H8250013.jpg

H8250012.jpg

To be perfectly honest, you'd probably negate the performance gain (reliably) with a supercharger setup due to the extra weight and unprepared state of the motor. FI'd a non-FI motor is 2 fold the work of actually building/swapping a FI-setup motor. The only superchargers you'd find cheap in the u pull it yards are going to be the Eaton m62, m90 maybe the sc12/14 off the toyotas (more likely the previa vans vs mr2s) Some of the Mercs ran a clutched m62, but those probably won't show up in a wrecking yard soon, and some of the Mazda Millenias had the 2.3 supercharged with the log charger which are starting to appear. Even then, the Eaton m90 (most common on the 3.8s from the regal GS and bonneville SSE) weight close to 30/40 lbs IIRC ALONE.

For entertainment and occasional shenanigans, I'd run a small, 50 shot NO2 so you've got the power when you want it, it's temporary and a fraction of the cost of running a supercharger.

And an 81 Turbo T/A ran a draw-through carb setup with a one-year only Feedback Rochester Quadrajet. An aluminum plenum offset mount the carb and connected directly to the compressor inlet and dumped directly into the intake it was mounted to. The turbine wheel was mounted right over the valley and the up pipe wrapped around the valve cover making for a very hot engine bay! :Flame: