Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Expceted Gas Mileage for 95 Legacy Wagon

Buying a 95 Legacy Wagon, 2.2 AWD 5spd with about 160k miles on it. Wondering what I should expect for gas mileage. MSN Autos says 22 city 28 highway. Does this sound right? I'm looking to replace my litte 30mpg honda with this and it would be nice to keep close to the same mileage.

Keith

I have the identical Subaru, and that range sounds right. I very nearly got 30 on my last tank, but I filled up at about 1300 feet above sea level before heading to the coast, so the first 1/3 of the tank was all downhill. I'm usually in the 27 - 28 mpg range on the flats.

Adam

Originally posted by RallyKeith

Buying a 95 Legacy Wagon, 2.2 AWD 5spd with about 160k miles on it. Wondering what I should expect for gas mileage. MSN Autos says 22 city 28 highway. Does this sound right? I'm looking to replace my litte 30mpg honda with this and it would be nice to keep close to the same mileage.

Keith

I have a 95 Legacy L Wagon,with the 2.2 litre engine, that I acquired last fall. So far (4,000 miles), I have averaged 25 mpg. That is mixed driving on city streets, back country roads, and highways.

You would be somewhat foolish to expect more.:D

• 7 months later...
I have a 91 Legacy LS 5 spd wagon 110k and have been getting 29mpg on crappy winter gas here in Colorado. This is mostly Highway to and from work.

I just bought a 93' Legacy Wagon and two tanks have averaged 24/25 with almost no highway driving. Brings up a question though, the gas guage shows empty at about 240 miles. Fills up with 10 gallons, and previous owner said "it's a small gastank". All the info I have, owners manual and internet, say it should be a 15.9 gallon tank. I was going to go ahead and run it until the low fuel warning light came on, but does anyone know for sure? Thanks, Kowboy

I just bought a 93' Legacy Wagon and it's getting 24-25 on two tanks, mostly backroads. Question though, I've read that the tank should be 15.9 gallons, but it shows empty after about 10 gallons. Previous owner said it "has a small tank" but I haven't let it run until low fuel light comes on, so might do that. Anyone know for sure what size tank these have? Thanks, Kowboy

My '92 has a 15.9 gal tank, as does yours. Yes, the guage shows empty at 250 miles, but the warning light will not come on for quite a few miles after that. and then the most I have gotten to go in the tank was 14 gals. You get plenty of warning before you run out of gas in those cars. In populated areas, there is really no excuse for running the tank dry under anything near normal circumstances. . .

I'm jealous. I only get between 21 and 26 MPG on mine, but then again, I drive it a bit hard. . .

Been driving my 95 LSi AWD auto wagon for a little over a month now. I average 24-25 mpg. Best I have gotten so far is 26mpg. I do 70% interstate driving at about 70mph...sometimes 75-80mph. Mine has 155,000 miles on the 2.2.

I wouldn't expect much beyond 26mpg. I was hoping for 28, but, oh well....

Been driving my 95 LSi AWD auto wagon for a little over a month now. I average 24-25 mpg. Best I have gotten so far is 26mpg. I do 70% interstate driving at about 70mph...sometimes 75-80mph. Mine has 155,000 miles on the 2.2.

I wouldn't expect much beyond 26mpg. I was hoping for 28, but, oh well....

Do the auto's get lower than the 5 spds?

My 91 with 120k gets 28-30 my 96 OWB gets 29-31.

I'm not too sure on the older cars. I'd say the overdrive auto would get close to the same as a stick. Same ratio at the top gear, isn't it? They actually list the new automatic as getting better mileage than the manual on the '05 Subarus.

My 95 still has the original window sticker in the glove box--it listed a top highway mileage at 28mpg, which it may have done new on the open road at 55mph. I've got 152,000 miles on it, drive 70mph, and have AWD, so 25mph doesn't excite me, but doesn't really disappoint me that much either.

I'm curious if folks have noticed any difference between roof rack and non roof rack gas mileage? Mine has the factory rack, and I'm planning on putting a couple of roof mounted bicycle racks on it, so that may hurt me 1 or 2 mpg...