Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About to buy a 2012 ..........

Hey folks,

I've been drooling over a WRX since the first US version, but I'm gona have to wait a few more years. In the mean time, I'm trading my 15 mpg combined average 08 RAM in for one of 3 new Subies. I've spent the last probably 3 or 4 weeks looking at different vehicles but always come back to wanting a Subaru. I know I want a manual transmission, the problem is that I can't decide between a 5 door Impreza, an Outback or a Forester. Obviously just about anything will be better than what I'm used to driving currently, but until I drive the three I'm driving myself nuts looking at the specs, comparing pricing, wondering if I can get the 2 bigger vehicles in my payment range, and wondering if going smaller for the mileage will be a regret in time compared to going bigger for the shear utility and added comfort. Oh the choices!

I would say 2012 impreza wagon for fuel economy or 2012 Forester for utility. The 6 speed in the new Legacy is awfull. Test drive em all you will see.

I have high hopes for the FB chaindrive motor. So far they have been pretty good. The new Legacy seems to have to many little issues, but it is to early to tell with the new impreza. Im not crazy about all the looks of the impreza but i do like what they have done with the car overall.

^

one reason is it is a huge honking heavy boat bloated with gadgets. No longer stands for what Subaru started out. They will get bigger and bigger and bigger until gas stays at $10/gallon, then they will trend smaller.

Exactly. The new outback is about the size of a TriBeCa. Did the TriBeCa come standard with a 2.5L? No!

Yes the new legacy has alot of room inside and that's really the only positive about it over the last generation. I don't like headlights that stay on all the damn time! But all the new Subarus are like that now, and that's really the only fancy pants thing the car has that they try to pass off as luxury. Lol.

Edited by Subafreak

For the extra money, I'd much prefer a bit more fuel mileage rather than one more gear, worse economy than the Forester, not that the Forester is a gas hog, and a little more power. Guess I'll focus on the Impreza 5 door and Forester. May still drive the outback to satisfy my curiosity, but doubtful I get serious about it.