Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1 Barrel Weber/Carter stock?

I found a large one barrel "Weber/Carter" carb with adapter plate at the junkyard this weekend on an 83 hatch. Did they ever offer this stock? The adapter has the coolant passage blocked.

I have not researched the Webers yet because I don't have the $250 to spend on it yet, but I thought the one board members were buying were two barrels.

The intake is rectangular and about 1" x 2".

I have not cleaned it up yet, but a short search did not produce any model numbers cast into the body. It does say made in USA, does that mean carter built a weber design, kind of like the "motorcraft" 4 barrel holly on my truck?

Anyway, couldn't pass it up at $11.50, maybe I scored on a high performance carb.

I KNOW I KNOW!!!! I had an 83 hatchback and it had one on it. It was a giant piece of s***!! It had so many problems and they're really hard to get tuned right. Also, they are gutless. Compared to a Hitachi, it makes your car very gutless. I finally traded my hatchback for my 79 wagon which has a lot more power than my hatchback and it has a 1600 in it!!! So IMO, get rid of it fast and get a real weber or a hitachi, NOT that carb because it has more problems then it is worth.

Get a Weber 32/36 DFAV from an early model ford. Pinto's and such had them. Also known as a Holley 5200 series. I have heard that the ford 2300 engines had the same jetting as the DGV's we buy from redline. Also - the carb is virtually identical to the DGV, just takes a different air cleaner (can get those from EMPI - the VW guys), and uses the same redline adaptor plate.

The Carter/Weber single barrel also needs a different manifold than the hitachi.... be aware of that if you try it. But they suck - basically everyone agrees on that.

I've had pretty good success rebuilding the Hitachi's, and if you wire up the secondary so they open at the same time, then you have a progressive carb at least. Pretty cheap option - rebuild kits are $25.... my Brat runs very smooth with it's Hitachi....

GD

Thanks for the info. I'll take the carb back and search the American car section for 5200's. You saved me a couple of months fighting a carb that would not get me what I want. I'll go for the Hitachi mod for this summer and keep an eye out for the 2 barrel weber or 5200.

Pintos, Vegas and Chevettes used the Holley 5200. It was too big for the Chevette, flooring it would make it bog big time. The Holly version doesn't have as wide a range of jets, chokes, etc. that the Weber version has available. There is a book put out by HP on this carb, could be useful.