Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To restore or rat the brat...?

So I picked up an old ratty 79 Brat.(and I do mean that literally...found multiple nests under the dash :-\). I am debating on what I want to do with it. It will eventually become my daily driver so im mostly worried about getting it running like a champ but while I have the dash and everything out im considering going ahead and re-doing the interior and restoring things...or just ignoring anything not functional. I plan on cutting out and patching any major rust and keep it as dependable as possible but should I spend the money to completely restore it and make it pretty or just leave it ratty and maybe drop it a little bit? I really love the hoodride/ratlook style stuff and appreciate the idea of working with what youve got and seeing the beauty and character in the age and patina.

Here are some VW caddy examples that I reallyl like. (can't really find any other brats that have done anything like this other than maybe that one they threw an rx7 motor in and drifted)

vw3.jpg

vw2.jpg

vw.jpg

HERE IT IS...

IMG_20120305_154819.jpg

IMG_20120307_130113.jpg

IMG_20120307_130851.jpg

IMG_20120307_130328.jpg

IMG_20120307_130253.jpg

IMG_20120307_130621.jpg

IMG_20120307_130527.jpg

IMG_20120307_130552.jpg

Edited by BlindSight

Patina is great, but from what Ive seen, if then entire body has natural patina, the car is such a rust bucket that it is about to fall apart.

Rust bucket body on a chassis rat rod okay, but a unibody? That just sounds dangerous.

I would advise to find a middle ground between rat rod and full resto. Make it a solid daily driver, and enjoy it. Just because you are fixing things doesnt mean you have to hide the age and history of it.

Definitely rat it!

Focus on it being mechanically sound and structurally safe. Re-inforce if needed but don't sweat the shine. Most older antique rats I've seen in my area (1920's through 1950's) have a theme. That could be a good concept to go with. Most of all make it safe. So many of the local rats look like (and probably are) deathtraps.

Yeah I want it as safe and dependable as possible....just not sure if I want to spend the time and money doing a full restoration. Anyone have any pictures of lower brats? I have also been trying to find any pictures of brats with any of the alloy or different rims like the snowflakes or enkeis but not having any luck. guess I could photoshop them.

Yeah I love the wheels on this thing, those I might actually get cleaned up and painted. The rust in the quarter panels around the rear wheels is pretty bad but its nothing structural so it shouldn't be too hard cutting out those really bad spots and welding in some fresh sheet metal. Still not sure the best way to tackle the bed other than finding someone with a scrap brat that could cut out their bed and just weld the whole piece in, I mean its not the worst so I could just patch it and por 15 or rhyno line it?

-nice bonvo...that thing looks new compared to mine :-p

Saw an old VW truck like the ones you posted a few days ago. Man was it a looker. I say restomod. Make her sound and still retain that vintage look.

I am heading down this same path - resto and small drop with some bigger wagons and camber.

Way less rust then what I've seen people attempt to restore. If you're not planning to drive during winter I would Por15 the rust (discretely) and Polish what's left of the paint and I would make the interior a nicer place to be... the original graphics are way to cool to cover up.

If you plan to drive during the winter you need to restore or you won't be enjoying it for more than a year or two.

Well its in Texas now so I don't think winter will be much of an issue :). After hunting down some of the parts I need for the interior and either fixing of finding a new wiring harness ill get this thing back on the road and work on it bit by bit. I have around 2 years before my little sister starts driving so ill have my Scion XB to drive around until then if I need to tear this thing apart.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much progress, picked up a new blower assembly but it needs some work still, started fixing it up but a bit to go before it can go back in. Main issue is I got a new harness but its for a wagon or something and isn't matching up so going to take me a while to either find a new one that actually fits or bite the bullet and start cutting and splicing :-/. I did get some random junk fenders for free so going to practice my sheet metal welding asap and hopefully get confident enough to start cutting out rust and welding in new patch pieces. I also got a new set of tires while discount tire was having their sale for $180, just need to find somewhere to mount them for cheap.