Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yours truly put his summer tires back on three weeks ago during 60 degree weather and then proceeded to spin-out into a curb a week later in four inches of snow and ice.

Uhh... well, I broke the lip off the passenger rear alloy in what was an almost perpendicular impact with the curb. The wheel's been replaced and the vehicle drives fine, but I'm left with a wee bit of ghostly howling coming from the rear area at about 35 mph, so I figure I tweaked something.

Anyone have some general suggestions on what I should be on the lookout for? I'm thinking like the wheel bearing or something related to the thrust surface of the axle in the diff.

I recon someone who's auto-Xed or rally-Xed might have some first-hand experience with the result of wheel-impact "events" and what typically suffers as a result. TIA

:banghead:

Maybe you jarred the wheel bearings, or tweeked a brake pad mounting clip thingy. I don't really know.

I also don't know about rallycross, but if there's risk of curbage while autocrossing, that's a bad course and course design. I know I wouldn't run on a course like that. It would also make me think twice about participating with a group that would choose to operate in such a way as well.

CV joints have in and out movement so I can pretty much gaurentee that there is no damage to the rear diff. As for the wheel bearing it isn't likely that it would be damaged by this either, but it is something to be checked. If nothing else making sure that the axle nut doesn't need tightening. The important thing to check and what usually is the first to be messed up is the lateral link. This is the bar that comes straight out from the diff carrier and connecs to the bottom rear of the spindle assembly.

For What is's worth:

kennedy6.jpg

didn't damage the diff or the wheel bearing. Broke the hub assembly and turned the lateral link from a straight piece of metal into something the shape of an S! Video of it is here.

http://www.rockyroadracing.com/events/2003/maine/kennedy1.avi

Keith

Blitz

You are correct in the wheel bearing idea. A buddy did about the same thing with a curb and a Dodge Caravan.There was a noise around 35mph and once the wheel bearing was replaced, the noise was gone.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by RallyKeith

CV joints have in and out movement so I can pretty much gaurentee that there is no damage to the rear diff. As for the wheel bearing it isn't likely that it would be damaged by this either, but it is something to be checked. If nothing else making sure that the axle nut doesn't need tightening. The important thing to check and what usually is the first to be messed up is the lateral link. This is the bar that comes straight out from the diff carrier and connecs to the bottom rear of the spindle assembly.

For What is's worth:

didn't damage the diff or the wheel bearing. Broke the hub assembly and turned the lateral link from a straight piece of metal into something the shape of an S! Video of it is here.

Keith

LOL No, it ain't quite that bad. :^) I slid underneath and gave everything a visual and nothing appears bent. I snugged the axle nut and it moved a bit, but didn't change the noise. I'm guessing the angular torsion created by the impact stretched/unseated some critical dimension in one or both of the bearings.

I'll just have to drive it towards failure and see what happens. Thanks everyone for the response.