Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

car problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:23 PM

ok well a little while ago i hooked up a vacume gauge to the engine, well when the engine is warm and at idle the needle is very rapidly bouncing from about 10 to 15, but when you give the engine a little gas to bring up the RPM's its stable.

also the engine runs REALLY ruff at idle, but fine at any other time through the RPM band.

i recently stripped most fo the emissions, i left on the things taht put air into the exhaust, but pluged them. can someone please give me some ideas on what i can do to fix my problem?

Thanks,
Shean

#2 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:52 PM

bump

#3 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:16 AM

Signs of a bad air/vacume leak. Use a can of starter fluid and spray small shots around where you made changes. A change in idle will give you the location.

#4 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:12 AM

ya i figured vacume leak, but wasnt sure, i have been sprayin starting fluid, ive used up 2 full cans now trying to find it, and cant find anything. but when i do its on hoses that i never touched, maybe since the other junk is gone it magnified the others. looks like im replacing the rest of that junk.

Thanks,
Shean

oh, can i just run a hose from one vacume port to another rather then cappin it off, thats what i did on alot of stuff, or should i just cap them?

#5 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,139 posts
  • WA

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:19 AM

Just make sure the hoses you use dont have holes and they make a tight connection.

#6 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:21 AM

alrighty ill have to check that out tomarrow

#7 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:38 AM

did the problem start after your emissions equipment removal? amazingly some of those parts are meant to be on your motor.:confused:

as for the vac. line question. that may or may not be ok. if you ran a venturi vacume source to a manifold vac. source that would definatly give you the problem you have. vac caps would have been a better choice.
I know I am not going with the popular belife that removing emissions equipment is "good".
nevermind the fact that winters are getting shorter and shorter each year. the president says that his own advisors are all wrong about that silly global warming issue so its ok.

another thread along the same lines as yours. might want to check egr too.
http://www.ultimates...&threadid=13961

please ignore my little rant if it offends anyone I know politics are a no no. but it is related to the topic.

#8 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:07 PM

well it started after i spripped the emissions, but it also cured my studder problem around 2k when driving. so looks as if im going to be putting some caps on, and try to keep trackin it down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users