Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy obw low/rough idle with audiable miss but no code

Hey all, new to the forum here, but not to wrenching on cars. been helpin a lady friend of mine out with her subie, its a early 99 legacy obw with all the bells and whistles but a sunroof, awd, 2.5l dohc, 146k miles, auto trans. awesome car! but it has some problems.

i think she's the second owner, previous owner had the head gaskets replaced, i'm assuming the t belt was done too but... since she bought it i've replaced the brakes all around, replaced all the vacuum lines, down stream o2 sensor, had a new oe spec cat installed, just completed a tune up on her. put on new ngk plugs and wires, cleaned the MAF using MAF cleaner, replaced the valve cover gaskets, and the fuel filter.

the problem that i'm experiencing now is just after the tune up car runs good, however it seems to hunt for idle when warming up, then when in park i can hear the car missing randomly but no code is thrown, and when in drive and i come to a stop she idles really low and shakes bad.

recently cleared a p0170 fuel bank 1 lean, which inspired the tune up.

i don't know when the timing belt was changed, or if the tensioners were done with the belt.

also, is there a seal kit for the power steering pump, and rack? the pump is leaking down the front of the motor, and i think maybe the rack is leaking as well, lots of wet brownish red fluid under the car getting on the y pipe, but engine oil is seeming to stay full.

thanks a lot in advance for the help!!

Edited by DCRB

There is a kit from Subaru for the PS reseal. Around $40. If your dealer can't find it I can ship you one. Some people replace the bearing too. Thats easily ordered as a Nissan part 11924-W3420. For some reason Subaru doesn't offer the bearing. I would guess you have knocked one of the small vac lines off the sensors on the right strut tower or one of the ones on the air cleaner duct.

hmmmmmmmmm thank you! i will check the sensors more thoroughly as well as clean the iacv next time i'm under the hood. will also look into that seal kit as it is leaking bad. again thanks for the reply!

For the rack I 've hed excellent results with Lucas Power Steering Goo on Subaru's even with missing boots on teh rack.

Just a thought. Certainly is cheap and easy to try before installing a used rack.

Local dealers claim NOT to get a reman rack - they install used FYI.

K guys I'm back with an update, cel was on and off throwing a p0301. Just the cyl one misfire tho, not one and three just one. I un plugged the injector to see if that would make a difference, engine ran a little rougher, can still hear it missing in the exhaust tone. She's gotten about 156 miles to just over half a tank, she says her fuel econmy has gone way down. Idle still is horrible, dips down to like 300 rpms and is super shaky, also idle jumps around a lot. I also noticed that all the vacuum lines I replaced on the engine were super lose, so I. Bought some smaller 2.8mm vacuum tubing to replace the crappy stuff I put on there before.

Any ways anything I can do about the missfire? Plugs and wires are brand new, both ngk. Idle issue was the same before tune up.