Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 2.2 legacy wagon timing belt broke

I am afraid I am in trouble but I thought I would ask for some help. I have read hear in the threads that some 97' year were non interference engines.

Where do I find the id on what engine I have?

I removed the covers to find a timing belt wrapped around the crank shaft and the problem gets worse as my son who was driving kept trying to start in un-knowing that he could be causing damage.

engine has 266k and I haven't changed the belt and we got it at 180k. Here is what worries me. I was turning the driver side cam to line up the marks and it stopped solid and would not turn any farther, so I went to the crank and lined it up, then went to passenger side and lined it up the back to the driver side and was able to turn it to the marks. Then I realized that I had used the wrong marks on the crank so I adjusted it. Then I went back to the driver side and noticed that it was not on the marks, when I went to line it back up it wouldn't turn. I don't think I can get a complete revolution out of it.

And also how are you guys turning the cam pulleys and the crank pulley? I am have a difficult time trying to get them turned. I haven't removed the spark plugs but I may.

He had just pulled away from the curb when it died. even if it was a interference engine could we have gotten lucky if it broke the belt and wasn't able to do anymore damage by continually trying to start it?

Thanks guys

Valves are almost certainly bent. If you can't get the pulleys lined up for a belt install you will have to pull the heads to find out the extent of the damage. If you are lucky you will just have to replace a few valves.

If you can get the belt on it you can do a compression test. But that's not always definitive. If a valve is only a little tweaked the seat and spring will pull it into alignment every time it closes and eventually the head of the valve will break off from the constant flexing of the stem. Then you will have to find another engine. Once a valve gets sucked into the bore - it's over. Broken/cracked pistons, gouged up cylinder walls, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Ok, new information, after reading through more of the threads and a little better search, I found that I had the crank in the wrong position, I was using the arrow instead of the hatch mark, And now the key way is in the 6 o'clock position, and now the best part, I can freely turn either cam pulley with out interference or it locking up. Here is what I am thinking, I am going to get the new belt and put it on and see if it fires up and run ok. If so I may change the water pump or I may not. All the idlers and water pump feel smooth.

Also the dang bolts on the plastic shrouds spun on a couple and cracked the plastic, besides buying new plastic has anyone ran longer bolts thru and put nut and a washer on back side to get it to work ok?

Well when you say it like that it doesn't sound so good, but if you were to see this old beat down wagon you would wonder why anyone would spend a dime on it. LOL I will do some reading on head work and valve replacement.

thanks for your time

GD sometimes forgets that not everyone is capable of doing their own major engine work/pulling their engine. I guess the heads could be pulled in car, but yick.

If it's a POS old battlewagon, then just throw a new belt at it and drive it until it blows up. But if you plan on getting a lot more life out of it, pulls the heads and check the valves. Do a gasket and timing set from eBay while you're in there (they work fine if installed correctly) and have the peace of mind of knowing that the engine is less likely to blow up from sucking a valve.

Thanks, I think what I will do tomorrow is pull the plugs and force air in the cylinders to hear if I get any leakage past the valves, that will at least tell me if I have any major bendage or not. I do feel better that I can rotate the cam 360 without locking up. I may check into the ebay kits. I am capable of working on cars and have for years, have a couple old cars I am restoring now but I have no experience in the Subaru, everything is tight. I had looked at a shop manual on changing timing gears from a mechanic buddy of mine and in this particular manual it listed the 97 2.2 as a free wheeling engine, meaning non interference but upon farther investigation, meaning here, I found that it wasn't

so now I need to rethink my thought process and decide if this car is work a couple extra bucks. :)

This depends on the model and variant of the engine for the 1997 model year. I have had non-interference 97 brighton with roller rocker vavetrain, and single port exhaust. The outback probably is interference.

the wikepidia page on subaru ej series engine breaks it down pretty well which engine is in which model for which year, and weird production overlaps between mdels and years.

The Subaru dealers ONLY pull heads with the engine in the car. They must spend a lot on those lower back support belts.

I wouldn't do it but many people have and the dealer does them that way. Personally I'm not in that much of a hurry and I prefer the overall higher quality job that's done by pulling the engine.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

use the front section of the drive shaft from the 5 speed.
so now we know the max life of a timing belt on a 97 ej22.:grin:

line up the timing marks and hang a belt on it. if it runs like crap you have bent valves. if it runs ok, you got lucky. for more piece of mind do a compression & leak down test. you usually will have a bad idler or something else tyhat caused the belt to fail. but if the belt was ''not new'' when you bought the car it could be the belt. any ide when the T-belt was last done?

if you didn't ''force'' the engine by hand when it stopped you probably didn't do any extra damage, but you never know.

worst case, you throw the car away. next worst, you replace the head gaskets. how much would you spend to get another car that will serve your needs?? that is your budget for repairing this one, regardless of the value of the car.

good luck.

Edited by johnceggleston

Did you determine that it was a ej22 from the numbers I listed or you are just familiar with the engines. I wouldn't think that I did further damage turning the cam by hand until it stopped, who knows, I will have time tonight to check it out more.

No Idea when the belt was last done, I have a idea that it had been done or was attempted anyway because the front and side cover where the 10mm bolts attach, some of them were cracked already from spinning in their housing. I wasn't worried about the belt because I thought that the engine was a non interference engine and to be honest I didn't think the car would last as long as it has with a 16 year old driver and already having somewhere around 200k miles.

Thanks guys

Edited by trialsguy

so now we know the max life of a timing belt on a 97 ej22.:grin:

line up the timing marks and hang a belt on it. if it runs like crap you have bent valves. if it runs ok, you got lucky. for more piece of mind do a compression & leak down test.

That won't neccesarily show a valve that's just been slightly bent at the stem just below the face. They will still seal but the flexing back and forth durring closing and opening will cause the head of the valve to break off some number of thousands of miles from now.

The engine is an EJ22 Phase-I and it IS interferance. If it ran decent before this then just do a HG and timing belt job on it and check out all the valves.

GD

another quick question, I have installed the belt minus the tension er, All the hash marks were lined up when I installed the belt, on the driver side cam pulley the white mark on the belt was kinda in between the tooth like it wasn't marked in the right location. so once installed, the white mark on the belt is 1 tooth clockwise from the hash mark on the pulley and the mark on the engine. there was a little slack on that side when I put it on and I am wondering if I should have left the slack in the belt and let the tension er take it out once it is installed. Does this make sense? I have the belt on and the marks on the pulleys are all lined up just not the driver-side white mark on the belt.

Welp, passenger side rear cylinder has zero compression

passenger side front cylinder has 85psi

driver side rear has 145psi

driver side front has zero

I was hoping just one side would be bent but it looks like both are banged up. It wasnt a power house for sure and it does have 280k on it. I have to wonder if the 85psi is a leaking valve as well, or just wore out. I will have to think on it for a couple days, If I could just pop both sides off and put 100 bucks worth of parts on it and pop it back on I would do it. But looking at it nothing is going to just pop off and on and so far every bolt has fought me coming off.

That 85psi is bugging me.

Thanks guys

Honestly, I would recommend finding a donor engine for your car. Any work you do to the heads, especially valves, is going to raise the compression ratio. With the number of miles on that engine, it's not a matter of "if" but "how soon" the rod bearings will give out and that will be a waste of $100 and your time plus busted knuckles.

At 283K, that engine is nearing the end of its life expectancy. Put that money toward a decent junkyard engine. Any year from '96 to '98 will work as long as you match the EGR.

We're Subaru engine remanufacturers, and I am offering you the same advice I would offer anyone who called our shop and told me what you have here.

At 283K, that engine is nearing the end of its life expectancy.

That really depends on how well it's been cared for - mostly as that applies to oil changes, etc. I've got customers with over 300k on EJ22's that are still perfect inside due to excellent maintenance and the use of synthetic oil.

Though it *sounds* like it's been basically abused and neglected so that statement is probably true in this case.

GD