Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wiring help! ?

hi everybody, i'm new to this forum, tho i've visited often just searching for advice from some of you experts out there.

my 1979 brat has had an 1984 electronic distributor since i bought it (about six months ago). i believe it came out of an '84 subaru wagon. i know my brat came originally with a points disty, but seems to run fine with what it has now. the only problem is that my module inside the disty has fried twice now, and i'm wondering if anyone might know right off the top of their head what would cause this. i've gotta be missing something that the '84 had or maybe have a typical short somewhere. my mechanic/helper and i are a bit stumped. thanks

Edited by TRX450DC

Failure of secondary ignition components,usually.

Bad/loose plug/coil wires,open rotor,very bad distributor cap etc..

I`ve seen this several times.

Ungrounded high voltage backfeeds into the ignition module,destroying it.

The ballast resistor used w/your original points system may not be compatible w/your updated electronic ignition.

Coil could be a problem too.It should match the disty.Some coils draw too too much current for some modules.

You want to match an 84 Hitachi coil w/an 84 Hitachi distributor.Same for 84 NipponDensos for maximum failure insurance.

I would grab the correct one at the junkyard ,just to be sure.

Plug/coil wires can be too "good" as well.

Stock resistance type wires limit the current on the high voltage side.Replacing them w/non-resistance solid core wires can be problematic.

Haven`t personaly seen this failure mode,but,it happens.

For some reason,Subaru in thier infinite wisedom gives no ignition wire specs in the 84 FSM.General rule for older cars is usually something like 5k-10k ohms/foot.

Edited by naru
+ coil

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys, sorry it took so ong to respond. i turns out my coil wasn't only from the wrong vehicle entirely, it was also leaking pretty bad when i pilled off the wire boot. i have yet to check alternator output, but i'll get on that next. thanks again.

there's one more thing i've been struggling with on this brat; it's a mid range stutter mostly when i punch the accelerator. i thought it might be a clogged accelerator pump, but when i look down into the carb and hit the gas i see a nice squirt of fuel spit out. any ideas?

• 2 months later...