Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No AWD steelership diagnosed as duty c and clutch pack, replaced but still NO AWD

attachment.php?attachmentid=9751&stc=1&d=1337305691

I did not damage this in any way and was the condition it went into my used parts box.

I would HARDLY call that reusable

yet again I will say $100 clutch pack on a maybe, yet the dealer left out this ESSENTIAL gasket and plate. I don't care if they can be reused I asked for ALL THE PARTS! why reuse a few dollar gasket when you could use a new one!?!

post-40566-136027655812_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluedotsnow

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it came off clean on the other side. So you only needed the one gasket.....

I can't rightly remember which one seems to always come off clean - but invariably one of them does. So I only end up using a single gasket.

The plate is never replaced and is easily cleaned so I don't understand why you keep demanding that the dealer should have sold you this. It's not a wear item and as such is not stocked.

The gasket.... eh.... I can make a gasket if I have to. Couple ball bearings and a ball-peen hammer. So they left out a $1 gasket. Big flippin deal man. The much bigger problem is the hack mechanics that didn't know what they were doing when replaceing the duty-c.

And for that matter - it's the *solenoid* that goes bad (electrically) - the valve itself could simply be left in place and the new solenoid bolted to it. Though the dealer sells it with the valve attached so I generally replace both. But *if* I had a situation where I couldn't swap out the valve due to not having a gasket on hand I wouldn't think twice about snapping in a new solenoid and leaving the old valve body in there. I've never seen one of these valve bodys fail - just the solenoid itself.

GD

Been following the thread for a while and even commented earlier that the diagnosis was the difficult part.

However, it seems at this point that there was no way that the dealer could have known that the indie shop had failed to reinstall the plate that others seem to agree is a reusable part (and therefore didn't include in the parts list) no more than they could have guessed if the indie shop had inadvertently left a peanut butter and jelly sandwich wedged inside the tranny.

The omitted gasket may be worthy of a small rant.

It is tough enough doing diagnosis on a problem without having the overlay of negligence of others prior "handiwork".

Glad it all worked out though.

thiss problem could have been traced with a preshure test gauge on tail section would have seen no prushure to awd and no varyance in preshure to awd or no loss of preshure when fwd fuse was installed has anyone tryed to modify thiss plate to incresae flow ? i took the whole valve assembly out and ran a line strait trough and works good [ race app]

I bought an oil pressure gauge and tested the port it rendered a zero reading, I believe i made a post about that. after asking several trans shops about the rear oil test port and the zero reading they still had no clue and were even more apprehensive to work on my car.

I paid a visit to winters auto to pick up the check they stated they would have for me today and low and behold they changed there story without calling me to " you need to go to B.A.R. to straighten yourself out" I will now be asking for all the new parts I bought and they improperly installed replaced, as well as damages for my time and gallons of burnt ATF!

B.A.R. Bureau of Automotive Repair

I live in cali and as I understand it they are "mechanic police" sort of like a specialized better business bureau.

after filing a formal complaint against the dealership, which I will be changing to reflect this new information, I was told by a bar officer that I was in full right to work on my own vehicle I understand this is a he said she said, she being winters auto, but I have their paint that matches paint on my trans. furthermore they admittedly did not reuse the old backing plate claiming a new one should have come with the parts along with a secondary gasket but there was no mention of this on the day of initial service. they just sloped new parts they were given in without looking at what they were doing. when I went back on monday of this week I saw the owner take my old original solenoid valve body into the back to show it to the mechanic that serviced my vehicle. he then pulled the plate off the old valve body, in my book THAT'S EVIDENCE TAMPERING! the owner did NOT see that I was watching out of the shop office door.

BTW they also cut my exhaust instead of dropping it from the rubber mounts I presume this was to add labor hours. there was also something rattling around in there before they cut it and was not there after they put it together. I'm guessing it was just garbage but they never disclosed what it was they removed, I just bought the car and hope they didn't take something that was not theirs. not much I can do about it now....

I am once again floored over the dishonesty and lack of knowledge concerning subaru vehicles especially 4eats. I have spoken with 5 or more transmission shops and gotten mixed answers about everything. subaru's are great cars I have no problem working on them, why do qualified technical at independent shops have no clue? why are the dealers so vague about service and lacking in the customer service department. I have traveled into several different areas seeking help on this matter and all have been almost no help.

• 2 months later...

Bar said they would be visiting winters auto by Thursday so I should have a verdict soon. if they think I'm going to take just a refund for labor they are sadly mistaken although I would like to keep this out of court for several reasons including the BAR rep. it took almost 4 weeks for them to get to my complaint and would have taken longer if not for a separate case that almost went to court but did not. these guys must be swamped with complaints so I have to tie them up for longer than need be as many more people need fair resolutions.

someone made a comment at the start of this thread about myself wanting my car fixed for free, this is just not the case! not only did I myself identified and fixed the problem(thanks GD) but after a second visit to winters auto they told me my problem was in the rear diff!?!?! I'm NOT looking for all the money I can get out of these guys but only what is fair for parts that were damaged further like CV axles and new clutch pack. I mean really its not like I went out and bought two new axles I'm asking for compensation for junk yard parts.

it seems that when I crank the wheel all the way to get into a tight parking spot on either side especially after driving long distances there is a slight bind that seems to be only temporary. I know my pressure plate is out of spec by at least half a MM if its brought into spec would this make the binding worse?

Some very slight binding is a fairly normal thing with the 4EAT. Some do it more than others but the slight tug of the clutch pack is a normal feeling that most of these exhibit - especially after many years and miles. It's not a cause for concern IMO unless wheels are chirping or you have codes, etc. That's just how Subaru auto's tend to feel in tight turns.

Good luck with your complaint. They should have stepped up and taken care of you without involving the authorities.

GD

• 4 weeks later...