Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Filler Neck- what is that thing on the side called?

I ordered a new filler neck for our '98 Legacy wagon. I thought it would come with that widget (it's a little pipe which goes into a small rectangular box, and attaches near the top of the filler neck with a couple of nuts. Sort of a 90 degree reducing flange if you will.) Anyway, said piece is pretty rusty and I'd like to replace it.

-what is the proper name of this part? Is this the valve some people refer to in their fuel neck threads? (I did do a search!) Does anyone have a part number?

- does it have any sort of gasket or o-ring which I'll also need? Other tips?

TIA,

Nathan

I bought a kit off ebay a while back for my 99 OBW, and it had everything, if you look there now, they still are offered, advantage is there's a good picture of it all shown. The parts included were: 42066AC150 Filler tube, 047105166 Mounting Screws (three), 42056AA011 Filler ring, 42060GA081 Rubber seal, 42084FA100 Valve assembly, and 023705000 Nuts (two).

You need the valve assembly and the two nuts, but the other parts above and beyond the tube you already bought are not expensive and will make it go easier. The valve is called a shut valve on my documentation, but we often refer to it as a rollover valve here.

I can tell you what the valve does. It's nothing but a bent piece of pipe in it's normal mode. It's a square box with two 1/4" metal tubes pointing down and there is a push button on the side that engages the hole in the filler neck. When you put a fuel nozzle in the filler, a metal paddle inside the filler pipe pushes against the button and this blocks flow between the two tube connections. There is no one way check valve function, the two connections flow freely in either direction except when fueling. When the button is pushed in, there is no flow path in either direction. Every picture I've seen of this arrangement always has the two hoses crossing between the car connections and the valve. I would preserve that arrangement, some people have had problems that were fixed by swapping the two hoses.

There is no flow path between the two tube connections and the filler neck flange where the button connects. The button shaft is sealed to the valve body and the valve seals to the filler neck by means of a round bushing that engages the hole in the tube. There is no flat gasket at the joint.

The valve in question is to shut off the tank vent and the evap hose; this is required to allow pressure to build in the tank while fuelling so that the gas station nozzle will see the rising pressure, prevent overfilling of the tank and shut off the nozzle.

source: Subaru Factory Manual :)

Thanks to all for their replies, & explanations, especially NOMAD 327 for providing the part numbers! Unfortunately, the online wholesale OEM parts suppliers don't have good illustrations or lookups for this stuff (or I just can't figure it out- one of the two.)

I'll order what I need and finish this up. The original filler pipe on this car _does_ have the valve, it's just super rusty.

Nathan

Yep... shut off valve. As I understand it the "roll over" valve is actually located somewhere else.

When I replaced the filler pipe on my car, I tried to save some bucks and overhaul & reuse the existing (rusted) valve. Of course it didn't work :) The ECU started complaining about the evaporating system, and after a couple of months the act of putting gas became a real chore, since the nozzle kept tripping all the time. When I got fed up with this I had to take the filler neck down again and replace the valve. One of the small nuts got damaged, etc. The short of it is: replace it with the filler neck :D

The valve in question is to shut off the tank vent and the evap hose; this is required to allow pressure to build in the tank while fuelling so that the gas station nozzle will see the rising pressure, prevent overfilling of the tank and shut off the nozzle.

source: Subaru Factory Manual :)

I wonder if a failed one of these is the root cause of my P0440 CEL?

I've seen threads on other forums where a piece of 1/4" tube bent into a u shape was used to connect the two hoses that normally connect to the shut valve. The auto shutoff feature may not work correctly, but it did make the check engine light go off.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the filler neck and valve installed today. How do people deal with getting the old one out? I ended up snapping it in two with a pair of channel lock pliers and then pulled the bottom part of the tube out of the gas tank hose. Blocked the gas tank hose with an old vacuum tube (it was the perfect size!) and then drilled out the 3 screws holding the top part of the filler neck to the car. (I was nervous drilling the screw out with all that gas vapor nearby, so that's why I removed the bottom portion of the neck and plugged the hose to the gas tank. It really reduced the fuel odor and puts the fuel vapors a couple of feet away from where you're drilling.)

I'll reconnect the battery tomorrow and we'll see how we're doing CEL wise soon.

I usually deal with the three screws on the top first. Often most of them get drilled out. Then unbolt all the other bolts incase they require drilling or cutting. Once I'm done with powertools, I move on to getting the filler out.

That way it's just pull the old one off the hose, drop the new one in.

I was nervous drilling the screw out with all that gas vapor nearby, so that's why I removed the bottom portion of the neck and plugged the hose to the gas tank. It really reduced the fuel odor and puts the fuel vapors a couple of feet away from where you're drilling.

I'll bet he wished he had too...

post-643-136027654507_thumb.jpg

Ugh! As someone who now carries kids in their car, stories like that changed from being mildly amusing (in a schadenfreude way) to utterly terrifying. Had a friend who also had a late-ish model OBW throw a CEL and shortly thereafter go up in flames. He did not hit a deer on his trip back home after his car burned, so I guess I should tell him how lucky he is!

Nathan