Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Filler Neck- what is that thing on the side called?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

I ordered a new filler neck for our '98 Legacy wagon. I thought it would come with that widget (it's a little pipe which goes into a small rectangular box, and attaches near the top of the filler neck with a couple of nuts. Sort of a 90 degree reducing flange if you will.) Anyway, said piece is pretty rusty and I'd like to replace it.

-what is the proper name of this part? Is this the valve some people refer to in their fuel neck threads? (I did do a search!) Does anyone have a part number?

- does it have any sort of gasket or o-ring which I'll also need? Other tips?

TIA,
Nathan

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,825 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Got a picture of it?

#3 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

http://www.fillernec...-99-2000/Detail
This is for 98 Legacy. References an emission valve (not included).
Not sure what part was ordered but a trip to dealer with VIN will assure the correct part is in hand.

#4 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

I bought a kit off ebay a while back for my 99 OBW, and it had everything, if you look there now, they still are offered, advantage is there's a good picture of it all shown. The parts included were: 42066AC150 Filler tube, 047105166 Mounting Screws (three), 42056AA011 Filler ring, 42060GA081 Rubber seal, 42084FA100 Valve assembly, and 023705000 Nuts (two).
You need the valve assembly and the two nuts, but the other parts above and beyond the tube you already bought are not expensive and will make it go easier. The valve is called a shut valve on my documentation, but we often refer to it as a rollover valve here.
I can tell you what the valve does. It's nothing but a bent piece of pipe in it's normal mode. It's a square box with two 1/4" metal tubes pointing down and there is a push button on the side that engages the hole in the filler neck. When you put a fuel nozzle in the filler, a metal paddle inside the filler pipe pushes against the button and this blocks flow between the two tube connections. There is no one way check valve function, the two connections flow freely in either direction except when fueling. When the button is pushed in, there is no flow path in either direction. Every picture I've seen of this arrangement always has the two hoses crossing between the car connections and the valve. I would preserve that arrangement, some people have had problems that were fixed by swapping the two hoses.
There is no flow path between the two tube connections and the filler neck flange where the button connects. The button shaft is sealed to the valve body and the valve seals to the filler neck by means of a round bushing that engages the hole in the tube. There is no flat gasket at the joint.

#5 smiffy6four

smiffy6four

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Ontario

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

The valve in question is to shut off the tank vent and the evap hose; this is required to allow pressure to build in the tank while fuelling so that the gas station nozzle will see the rising pressure, prevent overfilling of the tank and shut off the nozzle.

source: Subaru Factory Manual :)

#6 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

My 98 didn't have that valve, I replaced it with a fuel filler that didn't have a valve. Unless a late model 98 transitioned, 98 doesn't need it.
I think they started that in 99.

#7 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thanks to all for their replies, & explanations, especially NOMAD 327 for providing the part numbers! Unfortunately, the online wholesale OEM parts suppliers don't have good illustrations or lookups for this stuff (or I just can't figure it out- one of the two.)

I'll order what I need and finish this up. The original filler pipe on this car _does_ have the valve, it's just super rusty.

Nathan

#8 jarl

jarl

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Ann Arbor area

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Yep... shut off valve. As I understand it the "roll over" valve is actually located somewhere else.

When I replaced the filler pipe on my car, I tried to save some bucks and overhaul & reuse the existing (rusted) valve. Of course it didn't work :) The ECU started complaining about the evaporating system, and after a couple of months the act of putting gas became a real chore, since the nozzle kept tripping all the time. When I got fed up with this I had to take the filler neck down again and replace the valve. One of the small nuts got damaged, etc. The short of it is: replace it with the filler neck :D

#9 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

It's weird my 98 doesn't have the valve, and yours does. huh.

#10 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

The valve in question is to shut off the tank vent and the evap hose; this is required to allow pressure to build in the tank while fuelling so that the gas station nozzle will see the rising pressure, prevent overfilling of the tank and shut off the nozzle.

source: Subaru Factory Manual :)

I wonder if a failed one of these is the root cause of my P0440 CEL?

#11 jarl

jarl

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • Ann Arbor area

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Je je...

I'm not going to say it *is* the problem. But replacing that valve made my car's P0440 disappear

#12 NOMAD327

NOMAD327

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • danville, PA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

I've seen threads on other forums where a piece of 1/4" tube bent into a u shape was used to connect the two hoses that normally connect to the shut valve. The auto shutoff feature may not work correctly, but it did make the check engine light go off.

#13 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

This might be helpful: http://opposedforces...illustration_2/

#14 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Well, I got the filler neck and valve installed today. How do people deal with getting the old one out? I ended up snapping it in two with a pair of channel lock pliers and then pulled the bottom part of the tube out of the gas tank hose. Blocked the gas tank hose with an old vacuum tube (it was the perfect size!) and then drilled out the 3 screws holding the top part of the filler neck to the car. (I was nervous drilling the screw out with all that gas vapor nearby, so that's why I removed the bottom portion of the neck and plugged the hose to the gas tank. It really reduced the fuel odor and puts the fuel vapors a couple of feet away from where you're drilling.)

I'll reconnect the battery tomorrow and we'll see how we're doing CEL wise soon.

#15 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I usually deal with the three screws on the top first. Often most of them get drilled out. Then unbolt all the other bolts incase they require drilling or cutting. Once I'm done with powertools, I move on to getting the filler out.
That way it's just pull the old one off the hose, drop the new one in.

#16 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

I was nervous drilling the screw out with all that gas vapor nearby, so that's why I removed the bottom portion of the neck and plugged the hose to the gas tank. It really reduced the fuel odor and puts the fuel vapors a couple of feet away from where you're drilling.

I'll bet he wished he had too...

Attached Files

#17 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'll bet he wished he had too...

Looks like an Audi? They just spontaneously combust like that... :lol:

#18 brus brother

brus brother

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,894 posts
  • Connecticut

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Looks like an Audi? They just spontaneously combust like that... :lol:

Nope, Subaru Outback!
Video and story below:
http://www.wtip.org/...nd-news-june-30

#19 hankosolder2

hankosolder2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Chicago

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Ugh! As someone who now carries kids in their car, stories like that changed from being mildly amusing (in a schadenfreude way) to utterly terrifying. Had a friend who also had a late-ish model OBW throw a CEL and shortly thereafter go up in flames. He did not hit a deer on his trip back home after his car burned, so I guess I should tell him how lucky he is!

Nathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users