Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solid lifters in a hydraulic block? EA71

I'm almost convinced that I have seen mention of this before but can't seem to find it.

Anyway, Can you use a solid lifter setup on a block that was origionally designed for hydraulic lifters?

Reason for asking: I want to use solid lifters on a hot cam. I have two blocks (one solid lifter, one hydraulic). The block that looks in best shape is the hydraulic one.

The lifter passages are different.

Hydraulic block has sleaveless passages with large oil galleries

Solid block has sleaved passages with smaller oil galleries.

Cheers

Dirk.

I suppose by comparing the size of the lifter hight and circumference you could decide if it would work.

I think in the hydraulic motor it obviously has large oil feeds to fill the lifters and perhaps the added lubrication negated the need for the sleeves.

Having extra lubrication to a solid lifter wouldnt seem to cause any negative affects.

I would say as long as the lifters share the same dimensions it should be ok to do it.

Now let's see if someone who has done it chimes in.

Push rods are not the same but shouldent matter the oil feed for rocker shafts is restricted on hydrolic moter not on soilid one and the piston is a pin ring design better piston on hydro moter soilid will rev better did you know that 2.0 ej pistons will go into that block ? and can use ea 82 turbo rods biger berring and stronger rod. From my exp the best ea81 s where the oldest ones i could get 80-81 with the extra 2 head bolts small ones with newer parts in them