Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New tool box!

1982gl4

With my college education wrapping up, I decided to take advantage of my 55% Snap-on discount on more time, and bought a new tool box along with a few tools. I ordered it probably three weeks ago, and it came into day. I think I'm in love. :slobber:

Sorry for the cell pic, but my other camera was dead, and I couldn't wait!

1-104.jpg

I ended up getting it in a flat black finish which I really like, I also got a stainless top for it, as I don't have a lot of work space in the garage at home, and thought it would be good to protect my new box from me.

I've put some of the tools I ordered with it in tonight, including a set of body hammers, seal drivers, impact drivers and a few air tools, but 95% of my tools are at school so it's still looking pretty empty. I'm planing on bringing those home this week, as I need them at home far more with all of my projects. I also got a large Snap-on gift card for purchasing this while in school, so I plan on buying a few more tools along with some stuff to keep this box organized!

Thanks guys. I brought my tools home from school, as these last few weeks, we aren't doing to much in lab, mainly field trips to transmission shops and that sort of stuff (we get to the New York Autoshow next weekend!).

It's so nice having good tools at home again I was able to put the heads on my beetle without spending half an hour looking for all the tools to do it. I can't wait to try out some of the ones that I just got! I'm still trying to decide what I want with my gift card. I have a lot of tools I would like still. Stinks I'm going to have to pay full price after school :(

Fairtax4me, local snap-on dealers don't usually get to sell at the discounted prices. We have our own rep at school, that I emailed and got all of my stuff from. Hopefully, you will have one. If not I'm sure you could contact snap-on and get one, I've always had good luck with them. It's well worth buying all you can at the discount, I know I sure took advantage of it :)

Nice choice on the box! I have a blue one like that. I started with the SS top but after about a year I needed more room and had to ditch it and put a box on the top of it. I miss the top but it was a lot of maintenance to keep it looking perfect which I really did end up with. I have had 0 problems with mine.

Don't order the drawer edge guards they try to sell you. They show every fingerprint and look like crap fast.

When I got mine I worked with a very experienced mechanic and I took a photo of every drawer in his box. I matched him tool for tool which cost me thousands of dollars to do but I never had to borrow one again. The other thing, when I left that shop, I had everything. Until I went to the dealer and bought another $10,000 worth to keep up with the master tech there. Its worth it if you plan on doing it for 20 years.

Watch out though. You can score on Ebay, craigslist, etc. Most of the time for half of what you would pay on the truck plus no tax.

Nice choice on the box! I have a blue one like that. I started with the SS top but after about a year I needed more room and had to ditch it and put a box on the top of it. I miss the top but it was a lot of maintenance to keep it looking perfect which I really did end up with. I have had 0 problems with mine.

Don't order the drawer edge guards they try to sell you. They show every fingerprint and look like crap fast.

When I got mine I worked with a very experienced mechanic and I took a photo of every drawer in his box. I matched him tool for tool which cost me thousands of dollars to do but I never had to borrow one again. The other thing, when I left that shop, I had everything. Until I went to the dealer and bought another $10,000 worth to keep up with the master tech there. Its worth it if you plan on doing it for 20 years.

Watch out though. You can score on Ebay, craigslist, etc. Most of the time for half of what you would pay on the truck plus no tax.

Thanks! Someday I'll probably get a top box for it or something. For right now this is great. My last box was smaller and i was out of room. i still have a few drawers not even being used :headbang: I already have all the basic tools I need. over 10k's worth at full snap on price ;)

I went on the snap on truck today and picked out some strips sockets, and I was thinking about getting some tool organizers as that would be very beneficial to keeping this as organized as it is right now. Man do I love having a decent sized place for my tools!

Yeah good tools aren't cheap, but they sure are worth it. I bought a set of Matco Flare-nut wrenches because I was tired of cheap wrenches expanding and rounding off the hex on brake lines. Worth every penny of the ~$20 per wrench. Even the stuck rusty flare nuts crack loose with no drama.

There's just no comparison, the cheapest Snap-On tool box is still better than an expensive Craftsman box.