Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Carb to SPFI q's

Been doing a bit of searching on the topic, all I've come across so far is the most excellent PDF write-up for converting an EA81 to SPFI, and a couple of threads for people wanting to go from SPFI on their 82's to Carb (?).

Thing is, I've got Margaret (87 GL) up for sale in the classifieds. She doesn't seem to be garnering too much interest, and she does have a pretty straight body, so I've been thinking that perhaps this summer it is time to retire Ben (93 Loyale) instead. He is pretty beat up.

Margie only has 57,000 miles on the clock. Ben - 83k.

If Ben is to go, he is going minus his engine and transmission.

Also if Ben is to go, I would like to donate his SPFI to the GL.

From what I've read and what I know, there are a few factors here;

I'll need from Ben his;

-Wiring harness

-distributor

-fuel lines

-ecu

-?

So what I'm wondering about is whether there's a write-up somewhere that somebody knows about covering such a topic that I haven't been able to dig up thus far.

And does it seem like it's worth doing...

Two off topic random thoughts though:

On the GL the anti-backfire canister (Pass. side mount by vac. can.) has an open bottom. The car runs terribly *unless* I seal up that bottom of the can. (Have had a plastic bag rubber-banded around the bottom of it to seal it) When it's sealed, car runs fine.

AND

Will 2wd rear shocks swap into the 4wd car?

Got some thinking to do about all of this. I really hate to lose Ben, but he's very mangled...

And I'd very much like to sell Margie, but he doesn't seem to be drawing much, so.

It is what it is. :drunk:

• 2 years later...

Yes, but it will Lower the Car around 2"

Due to the Fact that the 2WD Shock Absorbers has the Base for the Spring coil Welded Two inches Lower in their Body, than the 4WD ones.

But the rest is Identical.

Kind Regards.

Backwards buddy......the mount on the body is in the same place.

The mount on the trailing arm of a 2wd is lower than on a 4wd. (4wd mount is moved up to make room for axle coming into the arm)

2wd shocks are actually longer from lower bolt to spring perch.....

IN the case here.....If he puts 2wd rear shocks on a 4wd car....it will raise it nearly 2".

For the SPFI swap.....one could either do a full front clip harness swap.....which might not work easily because of the wiring changes after 87....

OR......approach it like an SPFI swap into an older EA81 (minus the modified disty)........Thin down the SPFI harness to just the ECU and engine wiring....and piggyback it into the car.  This will leave the OE wiring in the car unmodified so you could go back to carb if needed/wanted.

• Like 1

I meant the Base for the coil spring, on the Shock Absorber's Body, not on the Subaru Body, is placed with around 2" of difference between the 2WD and the 4WD shock absorbers, as you can see here:

2WDVs4WDRearStrutsEA82.jpg

That is to compensate the Lower mount perch on the Trail arm of the 2WD EA82's versus the Higher mount perch on the 4WD EA82's.

And Gloyale is Right, somehow I wrote it Backwards... I must had a Brainfart, sorry.

About the different mounting points on the Trail arms, between 2WD and 4WD EA82's and much more suspension information with much more photos; everything is explained, here: 

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

why not just put the spfi motor under the carb mani and put a webber on it? cheap easy and right around the same hp. only difference is the spfi has a higher CR

I think he's trying to use what he's got........And SPFI will get rid of the anti-backfire stuff causeing problems...(although, that can just be reomved and the large port in the EGR plugged)