Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy a new Subaru forester?

I need your recommendations. Own a 2002 Forester xs premium, which will be 3 years old this October, which means that my 3 year warranty will be over. Actually it works fine, but wish my gas mileage was a little better... get 20 mpg around town except in cold weather when it ranges from 15mpg - 19. Highway is generally around 26 mpg. Had two pistons replaced under warranty because of piston slap and that is good now too. So, I really have no good reason to trade in on a new 2004 Forester, except that I will get a new 3 years of warranty, and the auto climate control sounds nice too, as well as upgrading to option of premium sound system. So the dealer says he will give me $18,100 for my car with a little room for negotiating. This is on a $26,000+ 2004 Forester xs premium. My car has only 14,500 miles and is in perfect shape. Think I should trade in now or take good care of my forester and keep it for a long time? I'm never sure whether there's better value to trading in more often or keeping a vehicle a long time. Only know that when I keep car a long time, it's hard to find $20,000+ to pay for it with a trade in of very little value. Also wondering if you guys think the deal they're offering me now is a good deal or not? Suggestions? Thanks

We have an 02. We won't be trading it in, we like it too much.

If you don't like yours, and will resent having to pay for repairs/wear and tear, then trade it in.

If you like it, see if you can buy the warrantee extension. My mom did that for her Impreza.

You might ask yourself if the amount of money you'd cough up for a new Forester with a new 3 year warrantee is LESS than what you'd pay for repairs on the old that would've been covered by warrantee for 3 more years.

and I bought it because I could pay for it without financeing it.

I have been fixing it up for the last year.

It is a pretty good car now, much better than when I bought it.

The real payoff with a car is the time you get without payments.

Not to mention that insurance and license is really cheap the older it gets.

If I had you car I would keep it for a few more years and if I was worried about it add an additional extended warranty.

If you are earning tons of money go ahead and trade.

If you're only averaging 5,000 miles per year, hang onto what you've got. It'll be 9 more years before you ever have to worry about major preventive maintainance. I put 15, 000 miles on in a year and drive a 21 year old Brat. What do you have to worry about.