Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Official 6-Lug Re-drill Thread: Now in the USRM!

Well, those Toyota Alloys are 15x7 and use almost an identical backspace as the Subaru wheels. I don't know what clearance is like with the 15x7 or how much clearance there is with those wheels.

The 15x8s that you are looking at, might be cutting it close with stock backspacing, but I am not positive.

What you could do, is take a tape measure and measure the distance from the strut body to the inner sidewall of the tire which you have on your car right now, then just add aprox 3" to that number, and see what type of clearance issues you might have.

Best info I can give at the moment.

Well, those Toyota Alloys are 15x7 and use almost an identical backspace as the Subaru wheels. I don't know what clearance is like with the 15x7 or how much clearance there is with those wheels.

The 15x8s that you are looking at, might be cutting it close with stock backspacing, but I am not positive.

What you could do, is take a tape measure and measure the distance from the strut body to the inner sidewall of the tire which you have on your car right now, then just add aprox 3" to that number, and see what type of clearance issues you might have.

so then if i find out that they do rub, can i just get like 1/4 or 1/2" less backspacing?

Well, really the "best" way to do it empirically is figure out how much wheel there is from the wheel hub out and compare that to a stock Subaru wheel. The backspace will determine whether or not the wheels will rub on the suspension, but really that's about it. Wheel width minus backspace is how much wheel there is from the hub out.

This is the part you must have missed yes? :brow:

no i got that, i just dont know if 8" is too much.

Question, why type of tire are you looking to run on your wheels? Street tires or some type of Mudder/All-Terrain tire?

If you are gonna run AT tires, I would get a 15x6 or 15x7 wheel and then get a tire that is slightly wider (Exp, 27x8.5x14)

This is definitely NOT correct....

so then if i find out that they do rub, can i just get like 1/4 or 1/2" less backspacing?

This is the part you must have missed yes? :brow:

no i got that, i just dont know if 8" is too much.

Remember, if the backspace is the same as a stock sube wheel, the only clearance issues would have from tire to suspension is with the interaction between tire and wheel and the resulting sidewall "bubble"

Remember, if the backspace is the same as a stock sube wheel, the only clearance issues would have from tire to suspension is with the interaction between tire and wheel and the resulting sidewall "bubble"

ya, but if i does rub on the strut does that mean it will rub in the back too?

its close, from the sidewall of the tire to the "new struts" :banana: is 2" if not less, it feals like less....

2" or less is way more then enough. The 225/60/16s Subaru wheels I was running on my Legacy, I only had maybe 1/4" of space between the wheel and the strut body.

ya i checked this morning i dont think a 8" wheel will fit..... and i dont think a 7" will iether

dude - if the backspacing is correct, you could feasible fit a 10" wide wheel on it - sure, it would stick out beyond the body of the car, but it all boils down to backspacing as to whether or not it will clear the suspension.

and you dont really need that much clearance - if you can stick your fingers between the strut and the tire (with the car on the ground), it has enough clearance.

Probably about a 8 or 8.5" wide tire. The center bore of the Toyota wheels is also large enough.

30m8srb.jpg

hw0tiv.jpg

Personally, these wheels look better with a 33x10.5 or 33x12.5 tire, 35x12.5 FTW! ;)

2012_0325AE.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale