Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Official 6-Lug Re-drill Thread: Now in the USRM!

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#101 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

when you say 13", is that size of the wheel, or is that the distance from the center hole to the inner lip of the wheel?

13" diameter wheel (Stock size)

13" wide wheels! OMG.... That would be nuts on a Subaru haha.

#102 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

ok so i understand what back spacing is, but what is offset? and what do you have to look for when picking out a set of wheels to make sure that they wont interfere with brake components?

so what im asking is what do i look for to make sure that the surface the lugz go through or the spokes dont rub on the caliper's. ive seen it happen in other custom situations

#103 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Ah, I get what your asking. I don't really have an answer for that. I guess if I were looking at wheels, I'd look at the lug seat/surface and how the spoke would interfere if at all.

Somebody else will chime in.

#104 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

IMO Offset is another word for Backspacing. (At least thats what I go by) As long as you go bigger then 13", nothing will interfere with the brake system, Calipers, Rotors and or Drums will all clear.

Width will be the only issue, may hit the Spring perch or Strut body, Possible rubbing on Tierod end. But you can run a pretty wide tire on these.

Incorrect. Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim of the wheel, to the wheel mounting surface(The surface up against the wheel hub/brake drum when it's mounted.) It's negative when it's closer to the outside lip, and positive when it's closer to the inside.

EXAMPLE:
My 14x6 Pug alloys have 4.5" of backspace. The centerline of the 6" wheel is 3" across. 3"-4.5"= -1.5" This implies that they also have 1.5" of negative offset.

The "real" formula for calculating offset is as follows:

(Wheel width/2)-(Backspace)=Offset

#105 obk25xt

obk25xt

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • La Center, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Incorrect. Offset is the distance from the centerline of the rim of the wheel, to the wheel mounting surface(The surface up against the wheel hub/brake drum when it's mounted.) It's negative when it's closer to the outside lip, and positive when it's closer to the inside.

EXAMPLE:
My 14x6 Pug alloys have 4.5" of backspace. The centerline of the 6" wheel is 3" across. 3"-4.5"= -1.5" This implies that they also have 1.5" of negative offset.

The "real" formula for calculating offset is as follows:

(Wheel width/2)-(Backspace)=Offset

Nice work buddy....

You're such a sexual intellectual.....
(effinknowitall) :-p

#106 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Nice work buddy....

You're such a sexual intellectual.....
(effinknowitall) :-p

Don't hate man. when you going to let me come down and help you work on the beast huh? Plus i gotta give you a list of parts to dig out of the barn!

#107 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

hey "wentz912" thanks for the information, me and mr. loyal leared something there. so then what is back spacing?

#108 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

hey "wentz912" thanks for the information, me and mr. loyal leared something there. so then what is back spacing?

Backspace is still just the amount of SPACE from the BACK lip of the wheel to the wheel mounting surface.

#109 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

so effectivly is back spacing really just offset + other half of the rim. i get it i just dont understand why they need both measurements

#110 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,764 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

so effectivly is back spacing really just offset + other half of the rim. i get it i just dont understand why they need both measurements

Maybe this will clear it up for you...

http://www.streetdreams.org/tech.php

#111 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Ah, I understand that now. Finally got that cleared up after 2yrs!

Good posts, thank you.

#112 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yup pretty much. You can get the other number, no matter which one you have. I usually see backspace always measured in inches though, while offset can be either inches or mm.

#113 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

so then what determines how wide of a wheel you need

#114 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

Going to be a wheeler or a DD/ocassional wheeler?

#115 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

idk probably like a weekend/hunting wheeler. so does the size of the tire have anything to do with the with the width of the rim?

#116 wentz912

wentz912

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Kelso, WA

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yes, you never want the tire size to be narrower than the wheel width. the closer to the wheel width that your tire is, the less "bubble" the tire will have.

#117 wilcox

wilcox

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 277 posts
  • Greatfalls, Mt

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

so if i put a skinny tire on a wide wheel it wont fit, and if i put a wide tire on a skinny wheel it will bubble.

#118 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

so if i put a skinny tire on a wide wheel it wont fit, and if i put a wide tire on a skinny wheel it will bubble.

If you put a skinny tire on a wider wheel, it willl bow or pull out the sides, a tire shop will not mount a tire that is to much narrower then the rim, as it is a lot of stress on the bead.

You can mount a wider tire on a less wide rim, it will protect the bead lip more if offroading (I see this all the time on offroaders)

#119 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

As you can see here, the wheel bead is sunken into the tire more, so there is more rubber sidewall to protect the rim from rocks ect.

Posted Image

Also like this, the wheel is a 15x7 but it is a 10.5" wide tire. You can also run a 12" wide on the same 15x7 wheel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#120 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,570 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

It's also a royal pain in the butt trying to mount a tire that's considerably thinner than the rim.
After dealing with that a few times while working at a garage, I started refusing to do it.
It was a lot of VW crowd wanting sidewall stretch... sigh...

#121 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Eww, why? I like a tire with nice sharp square lines. Stretched sideways give me the hebbie jebbies..

#122 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,570 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Eww, why? I like a tire with nice sharp square lines. Stretched sideways give me the hebbie jebbies..

Because STANCE :banghead:

I don't get it... merely relating what I've dealt with working at a shop.

#123 O.C.D.

O.C.D.

Subaru Fanatic!

• Validating
  • 690 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

VW=Stretched tires and Hellaflush. Just the culture.

#124 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,747 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

VW=Stretched tires and Hellaflush. Just the culture.

I could think of a few better things to do with a VW :brow:

#125 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,570 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

I could think of a few better things to do with a VW :brow:

They're good for rallyx, and with good suspension and tires they handle pretty nice. Same goes for hondas and all the other ricer mobiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users