Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

We have a 2005 Legacy Outback with the optional 6 CD Changer. The stereo display suddenly stopped working but the stereo still plays fine. I checked both the #10 and #24 fuses and they were fine (which I suspected anyway as nothing else in the car stopped working). I have a 2006 shop manual and tried to find info in it but it really didn't help much. Anyone have any ideas on what to check or do (or is the display integral to the stereo and therefor the stereo is a dead player)? :(

Craig

The lights to the combined stereo/hvac unit on my 05 cut out a few times but as I recall, at restart of the car, came back on. Hasn't happened in a while but I remember mention of a questionable connector at the back of the unit. Never had to get that deep into it myself but try re-seating the power connector. Are your HVAC lights working?

I can't recall if my stereo worked without the display lights but it would certainly make channel surfing difficult but not impossible.

I will check my warranty service records to see what if anything was done by the dealer if it was within the warranty time period. I know I never paid out of pocket for any repair.

did you check the dash light dimmer switch? it sounds stupid but its happened to me before.....

I've accidentally done that before also ... unfortunately this isn't one of those times. I even double checked it this AM. All other lights (including dash) work just fine.

The lights to the combined stereo/hvac unit on my 05 cut out a few times but as I recall, at restart of the car, came back on. Hasn't happened in a while but I remember mention of a questionable connector at the back of the unit. Never had to get that deep into it myself but try re-seating the power connector. Are your HVAC lights working?

I can't recall if my stereo worked without the display lights but it would certainly make channel surfing difficult but not impossible.

I will check my warranty service records to see what if anything was done by the dealer if it was within the warranty time period. I know I never paid out of pocket for any repair.

Yes, the HVAC lights are working just fine. And channel surfing is a pain - as s changing the bass/treble settings. Other than the display, the stereo works great..... And thanks in advance for checking your records.

The wifes 08 Outback did a similar trick once. Found this post somewhere else. Interesting read.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/23909-08-o-b-radio-hvac-control-lighting-prob.html

Seems it applies to multiple years.

Thanks for the link GregB. You are right, it is an interesting read. Unfortunately whatever it takes to get it fixed will be on me as it is out of any warranty. I may have to rip it out and see if I can figure out if there are any cold solder joints and resolder them.

Craig

Records indicate under 36K warranty SOA replaced the unit as lights went out on both hvac and radio. Seems like your problem is different.

Thanks for checking. Looking at the link that GrebB provided below, the problems may be related as owners seemed to have different levels of lights not working and/or the Stereo or HVAC not working. Guess I'm going to have to 'dig into' the problem and see if I can figure out where the cold solder problem is.

Craig