Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went out and got one 4 20 bucks...we'll see if this is the fix...to be continued...(had the original them. go out on a road trip...got an Autozone replacement...seemed to do fine on the way home...but acting finicky now...)

Ok...here's the situation.....put in new Xantstant Theromostat, have replaced the cap, waterpump...flushed the block and the radiator...radiator 10 months old...no leaks any where, no smoke or water out tailpipe...no water in oil...no gases in coolant....I believe I've "burped' the system correctly....idles no problem runs awesome...overheats when I drive it ONLY when I test drive it on the road...and get on it to run...shut it down, to cool off....restart and drive back home...and it reheated on the way home again...let it idle, and it went back to good temp....WTH!!

Re-used the tensioner....compressed it in my vice, 1/2 turn every minute till compressed, put pin in it...and it appeared to expand properly. Can I remover the belts, balancer, and timing covers and run the motor with the TB on to verify pump operation without any damage?

Yep, throw away the Chilton manual.

:lol: Just kidding they are helpful, but wouldn't be my last stop for information. The FSM is so easily available for these cars, makes no sense to use anything else.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/subaru_manual_scans/

head gaskets on the Ej22 CAN be done with the engine in the car, but it's a tight fit getting the heads in and out because the bolts can;t slide all the way out of the block. Pull the engine out if you can, makes it easier to work on and clean the block. Have the heads milled flat.

Autozone carries Felpro head gaskets for $19.99 each. Cheapest price of anywhere that I've seen, and the Felpro is THE EXACT SAME gasket that you would get at a dealer. Even has the FHI swish logo stamped in it. Less than half the price.

You don't need new head bolts but the old ones can generally benefit from being run through a die/ wire brushed to get any crud out of the threads. If you have a tap that's the right size chase the threads in the block as well. Dunk the bolts in fresh oil when reassembling.

Follow the Torque spec for the head bolts in the FSM. Ask questions if you need to.

THANK YOU FAIRTAX4ME!!!....awesome docs for my torture ahead...lol...Got the tools ...but the problem is, I've always been a belts, pads, starters alternators kinda guy...this is uncharted territory for me...and theeyes don't work so good anymore...lol...wish me luck!