Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

First time for everything.... rockauto

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 950 posts
  • North ID

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

So I finally received an incorrect part via rockauto.

About 8 years, 50+ shipments, and probably north of 200 parts, I guess that aint so bad. :D

Question though, related to the '85 Brat motor Im building.

Its an EA81 obviously. I ordered '85 Brat headgaskets. Felpro Permatorque.

Only problem is that they shipped me headgaskets for an EA82

The brat was never available with an ea82, right?

Anyone have the permatorque headgasket number handy for the EA81?

#2 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,929 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

To solve the cross-over issue, go with the '84 Model for parts ordering.
A lot of Supplier's have inaccurate info for the years that the EA81 and EA82 ran together.
No major changes were done to the EA81 engine/body during that time frame, so all gaskets, and what have you, fit properlly

#3 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 950 posts
  • North ID

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the response Tom

:burnout:

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,361 posts
  • WV

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

i've always thought what you've said - no EA82's in brats.

like they all said:

#1 with EA81 (and other subaru's) you have to be very careful in certain years as it gets really confusing. even Subaru gets confused and that's partially why they require VIN numbers to verify, or they won't take responsibility for any mistakes.

i've also seen plenty of rockauto listings that were incorrect - for instance they used to list all sorts of 4 cylinder parts under XT6 stuff, etc. if i'm not positive i check it against other places.

#5 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • alaska

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have always said it, rockauto's data base is inacurate. You can still buy NGK spark plugs there: 10 cents cheaper!

#6 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,476 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Sometimes you've gotta be careful with rockauto. It's great, parts are nice and cheap, etc. But if I'm not sure I'll cross reference part numbers with other websites to make sure I'm getting the right part. Never had an issue doing that.

They did send me a bad ea82 wheel bearing once, though.

#7 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,966 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

When you select your make model and engine, do not assume you will automatically get only parts for your car. What makes RockAuto different, is they show you every bit of information that they get from the manufacturer. So you'll find dimensions, body styles, etc in the description. I've seen parts listed under an EA81 that said OHC in the description.

And no, no factory EA82 brats.

All that said, judging from the pictures and part numbers on there, it looks like the 85 brat listing is correct. 8818PT matches other EA81 cars, and a 94 loyale shows a 9392PT. So maybe they just shipped you the wrong part.... does the part number on the package match your invoice

#8 themoneypit

themoneypit

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • connecticut

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

wow, ive ordered tons of parts from rockauto, and never had a wrong part. i did have a defective ebrake cable for my toyota t100, and had a part box empty once, but never any wrong parts...

i do hate that they have stopped carrying alot of parts for the older subies. when i first started using them, they had great selection, now theyve done warehouse closings etc, and alot of the stuff that was previously avail isnt...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users