Ultimate Subaru Message Board

About the CD player for 89 GL Wagon

yeah get the adaptor. Some decks it is a bit of a tight fit (Mine was oh so fun..) but makes it a lot easier. Dont' bother with the $15 wiring adaptor, as you need to run new wires for all the speakers, as the Subarus of that era used common-grounded speakers, which all but the cheapest of the cheap stereos, dont' use. The only two wires you need in the stock harness, are the wire that is on it;s own connector all by itself (constant power) and the blue wire with the yellow stripe (switched power).

The harness adapter I received with my CD player from Crutchfied had a set of connectors and wires to isolate the speaker -. There is (on 85 and 92, anyhoo) a connector in the kick panel for each speaker. You just unplug the old (factory) connector and plug the new ones in, then snake them under the dash back to the receiver. No cutting and splicing.

BTW if you order a cd player from Crutchfield , it comes with harness adapter, install plates, and detailed instructions.