Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant blow from exhaust...

my buddy had blow coolant from exhaust ea82.

i dont understand why coolant blow out.

we did repair new head gasket on final 3rd step torque is 51 ft lb from BECK/ARNLEY and manifold gasket from FEL-PRO 16 ft lb. testing for running pretty sound good without coolant. i did check under the exhaust, there's no oil drip.

somehow i dont understand we put water in radiator while running and suddenly blow out from exhaust whole smoking smell like a coolant became shut-down like death!?

i dont understand why, it's nonsense.

Leak down test. That is all.

that way you know if its the hgs or like nipper said intake manifold gasket which is harder to diagnose....nothing worse than replaceing a part thats not bad. Trust me

:banana:Random banana cuz its easter.

we dont think so...

oil pan there mix coolant with oil. also we didn't take out head gasket, yet. we sure head gasket is ruin skin out.

EA82 is mess. we have to clean oil pan, bore, head gasket and camshaft....blah blah. waiting for order on this Friday.

how much torque on the intake manifold. tell me how to correctly install manifold?

I wish EA82 can separate manifold like as ej22/ej25. idiot.

The EA-82's can be a pain in the rump roast till you figure them out. Then not too.... bad? (Things I have learned from site and bonding time with roo, hope this helps)

Normally: When engine heads are removed from the car that has been overheated they should be checked by an automotive machinist. They will assure the heads are flat.

Normally: Cars should not be run with out fluids in the engine. Nor fluids dumped into a hot, empty engine. Adding into pre-filled radiator as warming up fine.

Normally: Starting an engine after a head gaskets will produce a cloud of smoke out the tail pipe for about 15 minutes. When dis-assembling engine I put gloves over the exhaust pipe below engine to prevent fluids from dumping down when heads are pulled and prevent nuts or bolts from dropping in.

I have found small casting holes in the heads. Prior to taking apart and engine full of water I put 10 psi of air pressure on the radiator, take the exhaust pipes off and look for leaks from exhaust ports on each head. Using a squirtie bottle with dish soap and water spray around intake manifolds gaskets, small by-pass hose under carberator (under intake) , check heads gaskets etc.. and look for fluid leaks.

I use Felpro head gaskets and Subaru Intake gaskets.

my .o2