Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The garage queen gets a new heart ::ea81 build::

Just tossing in some 5-speed swap info here for later use.

Misc 5-speed swap notes for this project:

*use (existing) '85+ (225mm) ea81 flywheel

*resurfaced, and step machined to .815"

*need ea82 clutch kit

*need ea82 TOB assembly

*sort out shift linkage. Custom, junkyard...?

*sort out wiring. Reverse and 4wd sensors

*lengthened driveshaft needed

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

I drained this out of the manual trans...

It is supposed to be a nice rose red ATF.

It smells like gear oil, and is basically liquid metal :rolleyes:

The previous owner did a hell of a number on this car...

Actually gear oil is what's supposed to be in the transmission of it's a manual. I wouldn't want to run a 5spd on ATF for too long...

Actually gear oil is what's supposed to be in the transmission of it's a manual. I wouldn't want to run a 5spd on ATF for too long...

Read the post.

That fluid isnt from my trans, it is from a customers car. And the car isnt even a Subaru :) Its a '95 SHO taurus.

Some manual trannys do specify auto transmission fluid. An example is my 98 Z3 that came from the factory with auto tranny fluid. When I got it in 2009, I drained the fluid out and refilled with Mobil 1 75W-90 LS. The specs over the years for the Z3 were updated to use gear oil in the tranny. Not sure whether the SHO specifies auto tranny fluid - would not change to gear oil prior to verification.

Edited by aba4430
Added LS to Mobil 1 75W-90.

Some manual trannys do specify auto transmission fluid. An example is my 98 Z3 that came from the factory with auto tranny fluid. When I got it in 2009, I drained the fluid out and refilled with Mobil 1 75W-90 LS. The specs over the years for the Z3 were updated to use gear oil in the tranny. Not sure whether the SHO specifies auto tranny fluid - would not change to gear oil prior to verification.

Wow I didn't know that. Ya learn something new every day!

Just tossing in some 5-speed swap info here for later use.

Misc 5-speed swap notes for this project:

*use (existing) '85+ (225mm) ea81 flywheel

*resurfaced, and step machined to .815"

*need ea82 clutch kit

*need ea82 TOB assembly

*sort out shift linkage. Custom, junkyard...?

*sort out wiring. Reverse and 4wd sensors

*lengthened driveshaft needed

You can also use the EA82 fly wheel, just dermal out the high spots on the bell housing.

I did not have to change the shift linkage any. The 5 speed bolted right in where the 4speed used to be (inside the console.) Now to keep the stock configuration of the H/L shifter I had to extend the shift rod 7/8 of an inch, and it works great.

For the wiring I just used the EA81 plugs and soldered them onto the EA82 harness, once I figured out all the wiring. That way it would plug back into my stock EA81 harness in the engine bay.

This was all done to my 86 BRAT

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the large ea81 flywheel, don't have a ea82. And I have a good machine shop right down the street.

As for the linkage, I don't have any of it. So I'm considering fabricating my own if a set doesn't fall into my lap. The linkage is simple enough, I have the means to do it, and it would allow me to fit it to this car 100%

Yes, I'm planning on using pigtails off of the 4-speed sensors for this new trans, only thing I need to know is how they are wired/color codes. The sensor wire colors are not the same between the two trans

• 3 months later...

Yes, I'm planning on using pigtails off of the 4-speed sensors for this new trans, only thing I need to know is how they are wired/color codes. The sensor wire colors are not the same between the two trans

if/when someone has this info - this is the last part of my 5 speed swap that hasn't been done yet.

i do have to say that the 5 speed is about the easiest swap i have done on any car, there is even holes/threads for the linkages etc..

thanks for the detailed info on the engine, i am going to be doing this for my Brat real soon.

AWESOME thread

I have a spare '83 ea81 sitting in my storage shed I want to build later, most likely in a performance sense for boost with lower CR pistons for 200HP+ regular tune! I love the old ea81, even if it needs a standalone EFI setup and boost to be great, I love it in ways so much more than the later ea82 and EJ timing-belt engines that followed..

I've had the experience in 4 different Brats, multiple engines & engine swaps, 4 and 5 speed manual transmissions, stock or Weber carbs, 3-4 different and custom built exhaust setups with different characteristics.. taking ALL the abuse possible for over 30K miles in the past year+. Freaking tanks.

the ea81: rebuild it, love it, it's special, it's a little airplane

Bonus question! Do you know WHY ATF is spec'd in some newer manual transmissions? (Like the BorgWarner T5 and the NewProcess 2 speed transfer cases)

Because instead of using traditional brass synchro rings as the "sacrificial" metal to join gear and shaft, they use friction pads made of the same material used in automatic transmission clutch packs on the synchronizer collar and the gear to "match" the rotating speed of the input and output shafts. Food for thought! :D

and absolutely BEAUTIFUL work on that EA81! with that high quality of work, your car and your customers will look like that for another 180K miles!

Cheers! :drunk:

Thanks guys.

Sooner or later Ill be able to update this. Im buried in a few projects right now, so this build is still on hold.

This GL will be getting this built EA81 and 5-speed swap done before winter though :cool:

Right now the shop is occupied by my flatbed Powerstroke.

The flatbed is getting modified and rebuilt in preparation of a HUGE project I have coming up this winter. A custom camper build :D

43.jpg

camperTruck.jpg

crazy, right? :brow:

Yeah it looks like he could have a door on the right side above the rear wheel, and an electric step that comes down when you open the door

that's a cool project, you've seen this build before correct?:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955676

^one of my favorite automotive/etc build threads of all time, and a similar camper idea to what you're building

Not just yet...

Been working on the flatbed. Ive got about 12 hours of wire wheel stripping and 8-10 hours of fabrication into it now..... Just about ready for paint and re-assembly, then the Subaru will get attention. I hope to have all of my prep work done this weekend, then paint it this week. Then the flatbed goes back onto the truck, and Subaru goes into the shop.

But I still have to make a firewood run this year before the Subaru gets attention :popcorn: That requires the truck!

I did however order some goodies for the Subaru though.

2 new Empi front axles

fresh radiator hoses

new rear CV boots

EA82 clutch kit

and a cool new digital oil psi + oil temp gauge.

Innovate Gauges - MTX Series (3852)

23a739ee043c78d3.jpg

It will be replacing the crappy oil PSI gauge I have installed in the console. :headbang: