Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Oil pressure monitoring.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 611 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

One of my biggest peeves on the newer EJ cars is the lack of a proper oil pressure gauge. By the time that idiot light comes on, your rod bearings are already toast.

Being that I refuse to let something like oil pressure kill my brand new engine, I was looking for options of reliable gauges. Defi seemed to be the brand that the 500+hp guys on nasioc were running. However at $160 for the gauge, plus the sender, the adapter for the engine... too much money.

Another name that I'd come across on there was ProSport. Initially, the feedback was bad for them, however it seems in 2010 they turned their act around, and people have been very pleased with them from 2011 onwards. So I purchased a 52mm "Performance" oil pressure gauge, and the oil galley plug.

http://prosportgauge...sure-gauge.aspx

http://prosportgauge...alley-plug.aspx

Including shipping, it was about $80, and should be here Thursday. I'll report back with fitment, installation, and how well it works after I get it all installed.

Also I'm curious what other people are using for monitoring.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,508 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

I always figured if practically every European car maker in the world trusts VDO to make their OE gauges they must be pretty good.
I also think their gauges look better than most others on the market, but I don't get into all that flashy colorful blinged out stuff most other people like.
http://www.vdo-gauges.com/

#3 cmill189

cmill189

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

I have an Autometer on my '00. I wanted to be able to dim it with the other interior lights. Seems most of the "euro" gauges don't have a separate ground for the lighting circuit. Coupled with Subaru's variable ground lighting system, you need to build something to reverse the polarity.

I used a Prosport galley adapter, moved the stock oil light sender to the rear galley plug, and put the Autometer sender in the front galley. I wanted to be able to easily check it for leaks and was able to avoid using a relocation line.

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

I can hear the bad ones when they start cold if it is knocky for more than 1 second when it starts rod berrings are done the key is to time the oil light how long it takes to turn off when starting engine a new engine makes no sounds when starting and oil light is off before it starts. Any knocking on startup is a problem [not piston slap rod knocking ] till it makes oil preshure theese moters give lots of warning before they go you just have to talk to it.

#5 1-3-2-4

1-3-2-4

Subaru Mike!

• Members
  • 3,688 posts
  • Greenwich

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

I know this thread is old but how are the prosport gauges holding on?

I'm between the prosport and the Autometer Spot Comp II oil pressure gauges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users