Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One of my biggest peeves on the newer EJ cars is the lack of a proper oil pressure gauge. By the time that idiot light comes on, your rod bearings are already toast.

Being that I refuse to let something like oil pressure kill my brand new engine, I was looking for options of reliable gauges. Defi seemed to be the brand that the 500+hp guys on nasioc were running. However at $160 for the gauge, plus the sender, the adapter for the engine... too much money.

Another name that I'd come across on there was ProSport. Initially, the feedback was bad for them, however it seems in 2010 they turned their act around, and people have been very pleased with them from 2011 onwards. So I purchased a 52mm "Performance" oil pressure gauge, and the oil galley plug.

http://prosportgauges.com/green-white-oil-pressure-gauge.aspx

http://prosportgauges.com/subaru-oil-galley-plug.aspx

Including shipping, it was about $80, and should be here Thursday. I'll report back with fitment, installation, and how well it works after I get it all installed.

Also I'm curious what other people are using for monitoring.

I have an Autometer on my '00. I wanted to be able to dim it with the other interior lights. Seems most of the "euro" gauges don't have a separate ground for the lighting circuit. Coupled with Subaru's variable ground lighting system, you need to build something to reverse the polarity.

I used a Prosport galley adapter, moved the stock oil light sender to the rear galley plug, and put the Autometer sender in the front galley. I wanted to be able to easily check it for leaks and was able to avoid using a relocation line.

I can hear the bad ones when they start cold if it is knocky for more than 1 second when it starts rod berrings are done the key is to time the oil light how long it takes to turn off when starting engine a new engine makes no sounds when starting and oil light is off before it starts. Any knocking on startup is a problem [not piston slap rod knocking ] till it makes oil preshure theese moters give lots of warning before they go you just have to talk to it.

• 1 year later...