Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6" lift on an Ea82

Skylar

Also i think i need to take the steering linkage off and turn it 180* because when the steering wheel is directly centered the wheels are turned to the left but when i turn it a half turn and its upside down the wheels are straight :confused:

0ef7974e.jpg

I'll bet you've got the strut blocks in backward. they need to angle in like this

_ _

\\ //

Steering take out the lower bolt, loosen the top bolt, slide the coupler up and rotate till straight, then slide it back down onto the rack stub.

I know this is a little off topic but id rather not make a new thread and wait for responses. Would rather just ask you guys in this thread .....

Anyways i got to drive my rig around town yesterday, topped off the coolant and oil before i left and let it warm up for a good 20 minutes or so to see if it would get hot or not since im just running the electric fan and ditched the clutch fan..

But it didnt get hot nor did that electric fan ever come on !? Which i was a little sketched out driving around cause i didnt want it to over heat but it stayed normal, a little below the 1/2 mark .

Anyways i know that the elec. fan is supposed to come on when the A/C in on or if the motors getting too hot. But i deleted my whole A/C system so what im wondering is when is my electric fan supposed to come on if the A/C is gone and the motor is not getting hot ?

i want to run another electric fan in place of the clutch fan for peace of mind. Ive heard that the ea81s with ac will work and you can use an electric fan from one of them ....

thanks

I got my electric fan working. ....

Anyways, i also got my 4wd lever figured out :D

But when i went to go play in a field yesterday where there is a little mud pit i noticed a large "clunking noise" when i put it in 4wd and got on it . It feels like the driveline is spinning, then grabbin really hard, spinning, grabbin really hard . like something is catching inside. the exhaust is out of the way so its not hitting that .

Could it be that the driveline mount in the center didnt get dropped and still sits like this:

c83ad728.jpg

and its causing to not spin right ? Possibly need to do a diff flush ? It does NOT make the noise in 2wd, runs and drives fine in 2wd . Rear diff is still open as well, not welded up .

The clunking is likely your drive shaft binding up from being at too high of an angle, you need to lower the carrier bearing. You should be able to just unbolt it and flip it 180 and bolt back up, that will help level it out.

c83ad728.jpg

That definately needs to be dropped.

Flipping it will help, but really I'd put some 2-4" spacers in there.

Without them, you will have a lot of your torque displaced into "arching" of the driveline when you are wheelin.

Flipping it did help a lot, I went wheeling the other day and there wasn't any clunking or binding of the driveline .

I had my buddy make me a skid plate at his work out of some 12 gauge sheetmetal . Seems pretty solid and should hold up . Cost me a whole 12 bucks :banana: only downfall is he wrote "yee" on the front of it with a torch, I'll probably just paint over it lol

8d9ccc66.jpg

f7fa63fe.jpg

009e5357.jpg

I'm running my carrier bearing upside down and it works great as long as the motor/trans tapers up to the carrier bearing. I'm 5" on the engine crossmember, 4 on the trans and 3" at the shifter. I've had one u joint go out(start to squeak), but never any wobbles. Glad to hear you got it worked out though!

Skid plate looks good, but that thin stuff will likely collapse. Some square tube behind it would make a world of difference. Also welding some plates around the bolt heads will keep rocks from shearing them off or deforming them to the point of unusable. I'd be concerned about the sheet metal screws not hold well too.

Josh

yeah i was thinking that too, that it wont hold up when we go on some of the harder wheeling trips but it works for playing around some of the spots around my place ! And its better than nothing there.

Ill probably have him make me something out of thicker material, and yeah i agree on something to cover up the heads of the bolts so i can take them off if i need to. And i used 5 1" long self tapping screws with bushing/washers on em and drilled em into the frame right there. They seem to be holding up fine so far, but again havent done much serious wheeling .

I also just got done lifting rogers wagon ! He scored a 6" sjr kit and some 235s on pugs with the lug nuts for 300 bucks and he gave the guy his old set of stock 13s so the guy could scrap his car !! Kinda jealous on the deal he got lol

cbb033fa.jpg

And i scored some 29" swampers from a buddy of mine for 80 bucks :headbang: 2 of em have a little less tread than the other two but thats ok. They dont measure out to 29" though, they were more like 27s ....:cool:

cfbed978.jpg

Don't have any plans to come up soon, but if you guys wanna go wheeling I wouldn't see it being a problem :D Rogers got some crazy high idling problems . I think he's got some vacuum leaks somewhere but it just doesn't want to idle down sometimes, it jumps up to like 3-4 grand . So we'll probably figure that out before we go wheeling next ...

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah we've got both of the lifts still, minus 2 of the straight blocks . We used em for the plate under the shift levers so that they'd sit up in the cabin ....

Right on thats cool, maybe one of these days we could hook up and get all that stuff and those tires and wheels back up here and do another round of lifts for someone......

Jeff