Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 Brat

I Have Recently Bought A 1985 Brat, Does not Run,Last Registered 2003. Need A Little Help With Engine Electrical Don't Know Much About Subaru. Has New Coil (tests Good) But No Spark Out Of Distributor, Does Not Have ECU Under Steering Column, Is There Another Location?Any Help Would Be Appreciated.

First Time Subaru Owner.

Swap in a different distributor,

could be the ignitor module within the disty.

Also swap out the little blue or black box located

near the hood release pull. It has a pigtail with about 6 wires coming out.

This is the Fuel Pump Control Unit, or FPCU

and is an essential part of the ignition system

ECU's are only found on models with the feedback Hitachi carb.

It's located under the steering column if you do indeed have one.

Cheers, and welcome aboard.

I have an 85 Brat too. The first thing I would do is swap the wires on the distributor. I have accidently had them on the wrong leads at the coil and got nothing.

Double checked and swapped the leads and she fired right up. I had swapped to a new coil too but all it was were the leads on the wrong terminals. :)

I have an 85 Brat too. The first thing I would do is swap the wires on the distributor. I have accidently had them on the wrong leads at the coil and got nothing.

Double checked and swapped the leads and she fired right up. I had swapped to a new coil too but all it was were the leads on the wrong terminals. :)

Will Try That Tomorrow. Thanks, Never Thought About That,There Are A Lot Of Wires On The Brat That Have Been Cut And Replaced, Some I Don't Know Where They Go.

Swap in a different distributor,

could be the ignitor module within the disty.

Also swap out the little blue or black box located

near the hood release pull. It has a pigtail with about 6 wires coming out.

This is the Fuel Pump Control Unit, or FPCU

and is an essential part of the ignition system

ECU's are only found on models with the feedback Hitachi carb.

It's located under the steering column if you do indeed have one.

Cheers, and welcome aboard.

Thanks, Looking For A Distributor,No UCU,Can Hear Fuel Pump Powering Up And Have Pressure In Engine Compartment.Still Need To Replace FPCU ?

You have no spark at a spark plug wire itself? Pull wire at the spark plug end, ground a spark plug and have someone watch. Make sure you don't have spark 4 sure.

You have no fuel coming out of the line from the fuel filter?

Does it backfire or anything?

I may have just covered this topic for a brat in the older gen section,First make sure you have spark at the coil then see my other post regarding phasing the distributor correctly in the other section.

Basically the rotor button must line up all through a manual check of the advance curve with the engine at top dead centre number one cylinder the rotor button must align with the number one lead at the cap,But most importantly when you manually check the advance curve by twisting the rotor button against the spring tension the rotor button must sweep across the pickup point in the cap and not go past it.

If they do not align no spark will cross from the coil feed via the rotor button and then to the individual cylinders,Hence always check spark at coil first.\,then check the distribution phase of the system.

If it fails the spark at coil point then it is either wiring,Coil or reluctor (Pickup unit) These are the same as a number of vehicles Isuzi impulse in the states (gemini in Asia Pacific region)some Nissan models with A series and E series engines etc. Not just Subaru as Hitachi and Mitsubishi Distributors interchange over many different vehicles even hondas.

Tried That Today No Luck, Sure Wish That Was It.

You have no spark at a spark plug wire itself? Pull wire at the spark plug end, ground a spark plug and have someone watch. Make sure you don't have spark 4 sure.

You have no fuel coming out of the line from the fuel filter?

Does it backfire or anything?

No Spark At Plug.

Have Fuel At Carb.

No Backfire Either.

I may have just covered this topic for a brat in the older gen section,First make sure you have spark at the coil then see my other post regarding phasing the distributor correctly in the other section.

Basically the rotor button must line up all through a manual check of the advance curve with the engine at top dead centre number one cylinder the rotor button must align with the number one lead at the cap,But most importantly when you manually check the advance curve by twisting the rotor button against the spring tension the rotor button must sweep across the pickup point in the cap and not go past it.

If they do not align no spark will cross from the coil feed via the rotor button and then to the individual cylinders,Hence always check spark at coil first.\,then check the distribution phase of the system.

If it fails the spark at coil point then it is either wiring,Coil or reluctor (Pickup unit) These are the same as a number of vehicles Isuzi impulse in the states (gemini in Asia Pacific region)some Nissan models with A series and E series engines etc. Not just Subaru as Hitachi and Mitsubishi Distributors interchange over many different vehicles even hondas.

How Do I Check Coil For Fire?

So Far I Have Gotten Number One Cylinder At Top Dead center,Matched Rotor Cap Too. Still No Fire, Must Be Pickup unit.

Which Vehicles Will Interchange Distributers Exactly, Trying To Find One,ALittle Less Expensive?