Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ruby Sue!

So about three months ago I bought this beast. And due to busted heads and a very bad carb, I have not been able to get it running til just this last week.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/574689_3698426903263_1353101897_5145382_970768527_n.jpg

So far though she's coming along well. two weeks ago we were looking into rebuild kits for the hitachi, but upon receiving the wrong kit, we then decided to get a Weber, rather than wait and pay a lot more for the right kit. So last Monday we drove down to Auburn to Carbs unlimited and picked up the redline Weber kit. That night, my dad and I installed it and I was able to drive it for the first time. :headbang:

Here's the new Weber:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/579473_3698425343224_1353101897_5145381_189504204_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/538649_3698423583180_1353101897_5145379_1503259984_n.jpg

Also, the day before that, I was able to finally install my CB unit, which my brother had gotten me for Christmas:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/s720x720/150755_3698424743209_1353101897_5145380_1205694771_n.jpg

So, after a long time waiting, we finally got her running! Not bad for only 1100 bucks, after the costs of fixing the heads and getting the carb. Next up my dad and I are gonna build a very custom roof rack, and hope it ends up looking alright. I hope to get the lift kit before June, but as far as the 27 inch tires go, I'd like to know what kind of gas mileage people have been getting before I commit to getting those... let me know what you think!

I have that same Midland CB! Weber looks good.

My rig has 27" Bighorns and is a 3AT, and I still get great fuel milage. I can also run 80mph on the interstate at about 4500rpm, To give you an idea, I can drive about 120 miles on the freeway pushing the motor hard and only use 1/4 tank of fuel.

Cheers,

-Tom

2012_0405AB.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

I have that same Midland CB! Weber looks good.

My rig has 27" Bighorns and is a 3AT, and I still get great fuel milage. I can also run 80mph on the interstate at about 4500rpm, To give you an idea, I can drive about 120 miles on the freeway pushing the motor hard and only use 1/4 tank of fuel.

Cheers,

-Tom

2012_0405AB.jpg

Is that just with an EA82? stock? 3AT means 3 speed auto transmission right?

Edited by Ruby Sue

Update: So due to unforeseen circumstances I'm going to be getting my 4 inch lift kit from SJR very soon! Pretty excited! Also I've been talking to a guy in Spokane about getting some 14 inch pugs he has for sale, so hopefully that goes well too! Yesterday I was looking for something to use as roof rack crossbar feet, and found a Thule roof rack crossbar set!:headbang: It's on now and tomorrow I hope to get more done on my roof basket itself. One thing I've been thinking about though is how to wire the roof basket lights into the car without it looking sloppy. I know what to do once I get it into the car, but I need to know how to get if from the roof in....:confused: So if there's anyone that's done this I would love to hear how you did it. I'm trying to keep everything looking as good as possible, and since I live in Washington, rain getting in is a big problem. Love to see what you got!:popcorn:

• 4 weeks later...

New Update: Just picked up my 4 inch SLR lift kit, and will be installing it tomorrow!:headbang: Also got a brush guard from a guy who did the ej swap and had issues, which forced him to park his subie across the street from our feed store. Anyways he gave it to me for free, but the mounts are different and won't work on mine so I'm meeting him next Saturday to hopefully make it work (awesome guy). He also said he has an ej22 that needs to be rebuilt and so that might have something to do with my car's future... Also I'm getting more welding gas tomorrow to finish my roof rack and get it on there tomorrow as well, lights and all. Ruby will look pretty funky with the 4 inch lift and stock tires, but I will hopefully be getting a set of the AT2s sometime very soon.... that's all for now.

So I got my lift kit installed, but I've run into some issues I could use some help with. I extended the steering rod alright, but my 4 wheel drive lever is stuck... do I need to extend whatever it is that runs from the lever down? Also when we turn the wheel, there's only so far we can turn it before there's this kind of nasty grinding/rubbing noise, but it isn't coming from the tires rubbing... could it be the CV joints? Any help as soon as possible would be great, as I am pretty anxious to get her running

With your 4wd lever you'll need to do a cut and shut.

I removed the lever from my subi (L series - Ruby Scoo ;)), cut the tab the mounts to the lever the the cab and re-weld it sitting further forward. I guessed for my application - 3 inch lift with 2 inches on the gearbox crossmember, no lift on the gear shifter.

From memory I re-welded mine 5mm forward, this lifted my 4wd lever off the centre console and allows me to easily disengage 4wd now. I should have done it ages ago.

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah that's pretty much what we did today, so now everything with the shifting is good. However we still have to lower the drive-line, which we figured out was causing the obnoxious and rather frustrating thumping. Should have it all sorted out tomorrow... only thing now is that when my dad extended my steering rod, he didn't account for the steering wheel angle itself, so now the part that ought to be facing down is facing right... not a big problem but the groves on the side were nice to use...

• 3 months later...

Are you saying the steering wheel points the wrong way now? That's pretty easy to fix if it is. Just move the wheel itself. I pull the nut, pull the wheel, lightly thread the wheel nut back on and test drive it (CAREFULLY!!!!!). Drive straight and then pull over and move the wheel where you think it would be straight then drive again to verify.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So there's kind of been a popping noise coming from the suspension area on the front of the car, and it happens usually while coming to a stop and then going again, like something slides back and forth. We've just replaced the half axles, and i swear I've made sure the lift kit pieces are all tight. any suggestions as from where or what this may be coming from?

Also it's been off and on since a while after I lifted it. It has a 4 inch SJR lift.

Edited by Ruby Sue

• 2 weeks later...